• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tried to remove GTalk and now an error!

summerfish

Dec 8, 2009
SoCal
www.facebook.com
So I did a rename to the file gtalkservice.apk to *.bak. I never use the app because I have eBuddy. But since I did it I am getta the error that com.google.process.gapps is force closing when I reboot the phone. Is this caused because gtalk is gone? And why?

Now the weirdest thing is that GTalk is still there, but I've previously been successful on Visual Voicemail, and others.

So I did a rename to the file gtalkservice.apk to *.bak. I never use the app because I have eBuddy. But since I did it I am getta the error that com.google.process.gapps is force closing when I reboot the phone. Is this caused because gtalk is gone? And why?

Now the weirdest thing is that GTalk is still there, but I've previously been successful on Visual Voicemail, and others.

I would imagine because it's an integrated app.

Upvote 0
It shouldn't show up since you renamed the file extension I believe, but that doesn't mean its not installed. Quite the opposite actually, It's looking for the app in the usual places and on the usual sockets it says: "something ain't jiving," hence your error. I would think the best solution is to revert the file extension to .apk and disable automatic log-ins through the settings in Google Talk. I don't know too much about rooting but I take it your need to be rooted to access the stock apps? So why not delete them entirely?

Upvote 0

That's because the Gtalk is actually Talk.apk in /system/app i have removed it and everything works fine. but I also have a deodex Rom so that may or may not have anything to do with it. I would rename gtalkservice back to its .apk extension and try and rename talk.apk to talk.bak and see how that works for ya.

Upvote 0
gtalkservice no doubt could cause problems. I dont have talk on my phone and it works fine with the market, and other no problems with removing. make a nandroid back up. try renaming Talk.apk and see what happens worse case you have to restore your backup. I doubt it matters if the rom is stock or not. Talk is an im program.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones