1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tried to Update to 4.4.2 while rooted, can't get into Recovery now

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by appleaj, Dec 16, 2013.

1. appleaj

appleaj Android Enthusiast

I was on 4.4, OTA to 4.4.2, lost root as expected, but now I can't get back into TWRP to flash SuperSU again. Whenever I try to get into Recovery I get the Android open with the red "!" sign. Everything seems to have installed fine, just no root now or ability to get into Recovery.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

The OTA rewrites your recovery with the stock one.

You'll need to reinstall it

appleaj and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

When you took the OTA, it replaced your custom recovery with stock recovery. You can reflash what you need via the fastboot method or you can use WUG's toolkit to regain root and check the box for installing the custom recovery.

Rxpert83 and appleaj like this.
  4. appleaj

Ok, can I re-install custom recovery like TWRP without wiping my phone? I ended up, moments ago, flashing SuperSU with the toolkit.

And sorry, I didn't read anywhere about people losing Recovery, my fault.

5. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Didn't mean to sound quite that strident and I edited that out when I saw the thread was moved. Sorry.

The fastboot method should be in one of the two stickies at the top. I covered the Wug's method in the thread "Already Rooted Questions."

If anything isn't clear, keep asking questions. (I'm not an expert on the fastboot stuff, but people will pipe in).

Again, sorry if I was rude. It wasn't intentional. :)

appleaj and iowabowtech like this.
  6. appleaj

No problem, I did not realize there was a Root sub-forum (last time I remember going into a sub-forum, they were listed at the top).

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it! I'm now rooted with 4.4.2 and have TWRP again (knock on wood).

Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

They've been moved to the bottom by default (you can change this in your user control panel)

appleaj likes this.
  8. Lettuce

Lettuce Well-Known Member

This happened to me so I 'fastbooted flash recovery twrp.img' if that makes sense, hopefully it should. It failed the first time, rebooted to recovery and it showed the Android robot with red triangle, tried sideload from that screen and that failed. Turned phone off. Back into bootloader, adb method again, success. Then installed SuperSU again from within TWRP.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews