1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Triggering an alarm via Gmail (Samsung Galaxy s7)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Jesse Kirkwood, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Jesse Kirkwood

None

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm living in a different time zone to my work's home office and need to be woken by emails arriving in the night (thankfully not too often...).

On my old LG phone it was reasonably straightforward to set Gmail up to only notify me for work-related emails by using a Gmail label in combination with the Do Not Disturb function. I then set a custom song as the notification sound (rather than the short 'beep' alert sounds, which tended not to wake me up).

On my Samsung Galaxy S7 I'm having difficulty with the last part as it seems impossible to set a custom sound (i.e. song etc. rather than choosing from the Samsung preset notification sounds) as the notification sound on Gmail.

So: I can get the notification setup working fine, but need help changing the notification sound in Gmail to a custom file.
    OR a different workaround would also be welcome...

Many thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. GrouchoM

GrouchoM Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 5, 2012
    Can you turn off Gmail notification and then us IF to alert you of those specific emails?

3. Jesse Kirkwood

None

Aug 6, 2016
    I have an IF recipe set up for this particular label, but can't use the phone call option as I'm not in the States and for some reason it won't play music when I select that as the result. What else can I use to have an 'alarm clock' effect using IF? If I just do a standard notification I seem to be limited to the standard Samsung notification sounds, which won't wake me up.

4. Jesse Kirkwood

None

Aug 6, 2016
    Update - now fixed this simply by finding (*duh*) the right Notifications on my phone and inserting the custom song in there. Now works fine with Gmail and label-specific notifications...

electricpete and Thom like this.