• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Triggering Car Mode Besides Bluetooth

komobu

Feb 18, 2012
Looking for a way to trigger Car Mode besides bluetooth. I saw in a video where when the phone was linked to BT, SMS messages got an auto reply that he was driving and would respond after he got to his destination. I think this is a great idea. I want to implement the same thing but the work vehicles I drive dont have bluetooth. I was hoping to trigger off of something else, like maybe gps speed or something. Is there any way that you can think of to trigger car mode besides bluetooth?

Thanks for any help

I'm not aware of a way to trigger GPS speed but what about setting a 2nd user on your phone (if your ROM supports multi-users). Tasker can trigger a profile based on the active user.

or you can get NFC tags and keep one in the car. when you get in the car, tap your phone to the tag to trigger the task.

just some ideas....

Upvote 0
or you can get NFC tags and keep one in the car. when you get in the car, tap your phone to the tag to trigger the task.

just some ideas....

This sounds really promising. I have never used NFC Tags before. Do they need batteries? What type of distance do they work? If I had one in my briefcase that was on the passenger side of the vehicle on the floor, would it pick up?

Thanks again for this idea!

Upvote 0
This sounds really promising. I have never used NFC Tags before. Do they need batteries? What type of distance do they work? If I had one in my briefcase that was on the passenger side of the vehicle on the floor, would it pick up?

Thanks again for this idea!

you need to touch the phone to the tag so you can have one on your briefcase and one in your car. The tags dont use batteries and its about the size of a quarter. You can use double-sided tape to hide it somewhere out of sight if you want.

Upvote 0
Maybe not a perfect solution, but if you usually drive everywhere you go, you could set up a task for when you disconnect from your wifi. Keep it on til you connect to a new wifi, for example at work.

Also, NFC-tags are great for carmode if you don't have BT. If you have a car holder, it should work great if you use it every time you drive.<

Upvote 0
Oh, in that case I am not sure about it. I could just as easily hook up a driving profile. I was hoping to just have one in my car and one in my limo bag for when I was driving so it would set it self when I was in the vehicle, and revert back when I leave the vehicle.
Tapping an NFC tag takes a fraction of a second so IMO, it's the best option you have given your conditions.

Upvote 0
I agree with Codesplice.

Autolocation is great for that. Use Autolocation's geofences to determine if you're at home, at work, etc... then outside of these geofences, start Autolocation's Activities monitor to see if you're driving. (I tried having it on all the time, it wasn't battery friendly)

Additionally, I have an NFC tag on my car's phone holder to force my car mode on even faster.

If you want to go down this route, and are unsure about anything, feel free to ask! :)

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones