• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Triumph battery life reasonable expectations?

With GPS/BT/WIFI disabled my phone went from 100% to 40% in 3 hours and I barely touched the phone. The Widgets that I have are:

The Power Control (included with the phone), Task Manager widget from Go Launcher, OpenSignal for monitoring my antenna strength, Android System Info, SetCPU, Flashlight, the Call Meter widget for monitoring my Minutes/Data usage.....this too much? LOL

I'm going to test the phone tomorrow without the widgets to see how it behaves.

Upvote 0
This afternoon, I used the Android/Google Navigation, and managed to burn through 70% of the phones battery life in just under 38 minutes. Just about the time the phone was hitting it's 7% battery mark, the old girl overheated (not even plugged in) and shut itself down.

What a gem this piece of hardware is turning out to be.

Upvote 0
My phone went from 100% charge to 11% in 3 hours and about 30 minutes. I had everything on, blue tooth, gps, wifi, brightest screen, etc. I played games, watched videos, recorded video, used the flash as a flashlight, and just everything I could think of that would drain the battery.

When I turn off the GPS and don't make such heavy use, I get about 2 or 3 days on a full charge with moderate "normal" use.

it's funny everyone agrees this phone even in airplane mode will not go a day,but yet yours goes 2 to 3 days,very, very, skeptical to these claims,i remember reading somewhere someone claimed 5 days on a single charge on a V,at least if you going to try and bs people,try it on people who do not own the phone.

Upvote 0
My battery takes over 3 hours to fully charge from 0-10%, is this normal?

Definitely not normal. Even when I have mine charging via 500mA USB, 3 hours should get you at least 75%. However, I have a setcpu profile set up that changes the governor to conservative with a max clock of 245mhz when the screen is off. I dunno how much of a difference that makes on charging.

EDIT: Ignore me, I didn't read you properly lol

Upvote 0
My battery life so far has been extemely erratic. For example, yesterday I got up and unplugged it, set it in the normal spot, took shower and left for work, and it had 100% battery, I really used the phone yesterday and by 9pm, it was at 13%. Today, same routine, but the charge went down 7% in the 30 minutes it took me to get ready, and I didn't make any calls or use the phone, but within 4 hours I was at 32%, and it was still not used. These two days were identical in locations and travel. It's been like this for the past week, heavy drain, then not heavy drain, then heavy drain... it's strange. Obviously a software bug.

Most everything is turned off, including GPS.

Upvote 0
With GPS/BT/WIFI disabled my phone went from 100% to 40% in 3 hours and I barely touched the phone. The Widgets that I have are:

The Power Control (included with the phone), Task Manager widget from Go Launcher, OpenSignal for monitoring my antenna strength, Android System Info, SetCPU, Flashlight, the Call Meter widget for monitoring my Minutes/Data usage.....this too much? LOL

I'm going to test the phone tomorrow without the widgets to see how it behaves.
I had a similar but not quite so sharp increase in batt usage AFTER installing the FAOD from Amazon one day, Star Chart. I had tried it out earlier and backed, but later I noticed an unusually high drop in batt charge.

So, I go and check what's using batt, Star Chart, something like 80%, so off it went and now back to normal.

Generally a few phone calls, texting, checking weather(weatherbug elite), and a few other things with cell on & WiFi as much as possible for data(all other radios off), screen setting as low as I can set it and still read the screen and I'll go through c. 25-30% charge in a day, worse if there are a goodly number of large app updates but usually in the above range.

Upvote 0
I installed juice defender, have a task killer running in aggressive mode, disabled wifi, GPS, AND background dtaa transfer, and from a full charge with very light usage, I can just about make it 1.5 days.

The battery life is horrendous, I'm probably going to end up returning the phone for a weaker device, I care more about battery life than phone performance. I'd rather have an intercept with triple the battery life and 1/3rd the performance. Battery tchnology is simply not in any way shape or form able to meet the power needs of modern smartphones.

Every higher end smart phone I've ever tried (Evo, Evo Shift, Inc, Inc2, and Triumph) has just has abysmal battery life, and for my usage patterns, thats just not a trade off I'm willing to make.

Upvote 0
My battery life so far has been extemely erratic. For example, yesterday I got up and unplugged it, set it in the normal spot, took shower and left for work, and it had 100% battery, I really used the phone yesterday and by 9pm, it was at 13%. Today, same routine, but the charge went down 7% in the 30 minutes it took me to get ready, and I didn't make any calls or use the phone, but within 4 hours I was at 32%, and it was still not used. These two days were identical in locations and travel. It's been like this for the past week, heavy drain, then not heavy drain, then heavy drain... it's strange. Obviously a software bug.

Yeah, mine gets dramatically different battery life even when in the same location and using it the same way/amount too. It's like it gets moody or something. Not a fan of that cause you never know what kind of battery life you will get on any given day. I rather have it be consistent so I can plan better!

Upvote 0
I installed juice defender, have a task killer running in aggressive mode, disabled wifi, GPS, AND background dtaa transfer, and from a full charge with very light usage, I can just about make it 1.5 days.

The battery life is horrendous, I'm probably going to end up returning the phone for a weaker device, I care more about battery life than phone performance. I'd rather have an intercept with triple the battery life and 1/3rd the performance. Battery tchnology is simply not in any way shape or form able to meet the power needs of modern smartphones.

Every higher end smart phone I've ever tried (Evo, Evo Shift, Inc, Inc2, and Triumph) has just has abysmal battery life, and for my usage patterns, thats just not a trade off I'm willing to make.

Pretty sad that you have to cripple your phone, just for a few more hours of life, huh?

It's great that these phones have GPS, WiFi, Large Screens, 3g, etc. but sadly you can't use any of it unless you are tethered to a power cord.

Upvote 0
I actually don't even mind the power cord tethering, which is usually available when I'm using all those functions at once, it's the overheating shutdowns in this scenario that's reasonably disappointing, not to mention the rather long periods where the GPS locating lock poops out.

I actually had to stop at a gas station and ask for directions during a car trip on Thursday. It's been a while since I had to do that.

Upvote 0
I also have sync turned off.

Yeah GPS just gobbles down batt like nobody's business, just the same as with the OV.

That Star Chart app gobbling batt kind of bummed because it had a few nice things over Google Sky Map but not enough to be worth their asking price IMHO. Just glad that I got to try it out as the FAOD.

Upvote 0
Ok folks, my Triumph was a minute away from being listed on ebay, when I decided to try Juice Defender (free version). I am not an app kinda guy, and always pretty skeptical of these so called "helper" apps. Well, I am a believer, and going to keep my phone because of this app. I gained more than 50% in battery life, i finally went a whole day, instead of 6 hours, and still had more than 20% left after 14 hours or medium usage.

(I am not a heavy user, just an occasional internet surfer, 75 or so texts, and a couple of short 30 min or so phone calls per day.)

GPS was turned off, and Wifi was on all day.

Upvote 0
Ok folks, my Triumph was a minute away from being listed on ebay, when I decided to try Juice Defender (free version). I am not an app kinda guy, and always pretty skeptical of these so called "helper" apps. Well, I am a believer, and going to keep my phone because of this app. I gained more than 50% in battery life, i finally went a whole day, instead of 6 hours, and still had more than 20% left after 14 hours or medium usage.

(I am not a heavy user, just an occasional internet surfer, 75 or so texts, and a couple of short 30 min or so phone calls per day.)

GPS was turned off, and Wifi was on all day.
Yep. I found with the OV that IF I used WiFi when available v. 3G that I'd get significantly better batt runtime, and found the same to be true with the MT.

If you have higher than normal batt drainage I'd check under settings to see what's been using the most battery. I mean on mine when I had the problem Star Chart app was right up there at the top of the list by a WIDE margin and don't forget about widgets which I don't believe even get listed. (I don't use widgets so I've no idea... they usually just don't provide enough useful info which makes actually going to an app practically a requirement anyways...)

Upvote 0
CJ, I've been trying to use this method, but the darn Wifi (although it says it's connected) will drop it's connection somehow about every 7 or 8 minutes. I then have to enable/disable airplane mode to get it working again, each time.
You mean WiFi? It's supposed to, it's the power saving mode. There should be an option to override that in the wire & network settings... I've never checked on the MT. It could even be a LONG press on a wireless network name to bring up a dialog of settings options...

Mine reconnects after a few seconds when I "wake" it up... This not re-connecting seems to be fairly common with MANY Android devices but I've never experienced it with any of mine, so you might want to do a Google search on it as I don't think that this forum would have enough info on it alone, as I think that most people found solutions/workarounds eventually one of them that I seem to recall had to do with deleting then network and then re-adding with the thinking being that some config file got corrupted or something. Other times it was the wireless AP settings, etc.

I use WEP b/g at home because I have several devices that just don't support WPA of any type or do n(mixed mode got me weird results like kicking devices offline so I cut to b/g), but I've also been successful with non-hidden WPA2 networks.

I never checked on this on the MT as I don't really need to have it constantly having a data connection, and in fact turn off auto sync. I did, however, turn it off on my Archos A43 as I like to use it with TuneIn Radio Pro for radio stations...

Upvote 0
For example, while I was laying in bed the other morning, I was actively browsing the Internet on the phone for about 20 minutes, constant, no sleeping (me or the phone), and the wifi disco'd twice during that period at which point I gave up and fired up the 3G.

I'll check those settings again. As I recall, I actually told the phone to keep wifi active during sleep to try and avoid this issue, maybe that's the wrong way to go ...

Upvote 0
rooted my Triumph Friday using Gingerbreak, then installed SuperPower beta and Autostarts. With heavy use saturday had 10 1/2 hrs battery time. Heavy use> web browsing, watching flash videos, installed and removed several apps, backed up all my apps, lots of texting.

Today with the phone on but pretty much just sitting in my pocket the battery lasted 13 hrs before it was down to 20%.

My list of currently installed apps:
craigevil's Apps on the MOTWX435KT - Page 1

Upvote 0
BTW: I use tasker to set profiles - I perfected a lot of diff things to get the most out my OV, given my preferences of course. I am losing 20% or more battery overnight that's compared to about 2% on the OV- with wifi, mobile data, and syncing on. No apps running besides what's absolutely nec to make the gears turn. And yet still, batt statistics reports that Maps is the largest consumer of battery. So wierd - will go find more info. And GPS is off for me unless I activate it upon startup of certain apps. Soooo strange.

I fully charged my MT and "Shut down the phone (long press of Power button, then choose "Power Off", then choose "Shut Down..."). Still got a Low Battery warning first thing in the AM when I turned it back ON. What could THIS be?

Generally when I check to see what is using my battery, it is "Cell Standby" followed by "Phone Idle". About 48% and 43%. Is this usual among smart phones?

I have had other smart phones (Dinc, Intercept,iphone) and this is by far the worst for battery life. I wanted to ditch my iphone because I could not put in a fresh battery during the day, a practice I enjoyed with a Dinc that I thought worked well. But with the MT I would need to carry at least TWO extra batteries to make it through the day. Maybe just put a fresh one in when I want to use the phone? :)

I am going to try Juice Defender. Some on this forum have found it useful. (Thanks for THAT idea.) If that does not help, the phone may go back to BB and leave me to at the OV's again.

Too bad if that happens: The MT was getting to be my favorite among all phones until I ran into two things: 1) Very Poor Battery Life and (just as important) 2) Very Horribe Visibility outdoors in the Sun Light. The MT is much worse in these two categories than any other phone I have tried. Anybody have a suggestion on 2)?

Thanks for any ideas...PLEASE!!!

Upvote 0
BTW: I use tasker to set profiles - I perfected a lot of diff things to get the most out my OV, given my preferences of course. I am losing 20% or more battery overnight that's compared to about 2% on the OV- with wifi, mobile data, and syncing on. No apps running besides what's absolutely nec to make the gears turn. And yet still, batt statistics reports that Maps is the largest consumer of battery. So wierd - will go find more info. And GPS is off for me unless I activate it upon startup of certain apps. Soooo strange.

I fully charged my MT and "Shut down the phone (long press of Power button, then choose "Power Off", then choose "Shut Down..."). Still got a Low Battery warning first thing in the AM when I turned it back ON. What could THIS be?

Generally when I check to see what is using my battery, it is "Cell Standby" followed by "Phone Idle". About 48% and 43%. Is this usual among smart phones?

I have had other smart phones (Dinc, Intercept,iphone) and this is by far the worst for battery life. I wanted to ditch my iphone because I could not put in a fresh battery during the day, a practice I enjoyed with a Dinc that I thought worked well. But with the MT I would need to carry at least TWO extra batteries to make it through the day. Maybe just put a fresh one in when I want to use the phone? :)

I am going to try Juice Defender. Some on this forum have found it useful. (Thanks for THAT idea.) If that does not help, the phone may go back to BB and leave me to at the OV's again.

Too bad if that happens: The MT was getting to be my favorite among all phones until I ran into two things: 1) Very Poor Battery Life and (just as important) 2) Very Horribe Visibility outdoors in the Sun Light. The MT is much worse in these two categories than any other phone I have tried. Anybody have a suggestion on 2)?

Thanks for any ideas...PLEASE!!!

Upvote 0
So this is odd...

My phone started not recognizing when it was plugged in, and not charging. So I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. And so far, the battery life is NIGHT AND DAY. Before, I would have a fully charged battery in the morning, just through casual usage, I would be dead before that night. With my new one, I charged it yesterday, through similar light usage, it's been over 24 hours and my phone is still at 70%. Same exact apps installed.

So it looks like there may be battery pack differences as well?

Upvote 0
So this is odd...

My phone started not recognizing when it was plugged in, and not charging. So I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. And so far, the battery life is NIGHT AND DAY. Before, I would have a fully charged battery in the morning, just through casual usage, I would be dead before that night. With my new one, I charged it yesterday, through similar light usage, it's been over 24 hours and my phone is still at 70%. Same exact apps installed.

So it looks like there may be battery pack differences as well?

Another claim of a bionic battery in a Android pone at least you not claiming 2 or 3 days like some BS artists.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones