• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Troubl Opening Links from Email in Google Maps

I am having trouble with opening Google Maps links sent via desktop email to my phone email. I used to be able to do this (a week ago), but today it is not working for me.

Here is my first problem:
If i send my self a link from maps.google it shows up as an https: .... link and when i click to open it, it only gives me the choice to open it in browsers. If i take the s off and make it http:... it will open for me. Still works but a pita to deal with. I know i used to and my friend can open the "s" link with his LG phone.

Problem 2:
Once I open a my maps link on my phone (after taking the "s" off), I cannot get it to do a Turn by Turn navigation of the map, but My friend is able to. Does anyone else have this capability?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to get this to work, I am out of ideas.

Thanks

I am having trouble with opening Google Maps links sent via desktop email to my phone email. I used to be able to do this (a week ago), but today it is not working for me.

Here is my first problem:
If i send my self a link from maps.google it shows up as an https: .... link and when i click to open it, it only gives me the choice to open it in browsers. If i take the s off and make it http:... it will open for me. Still works but a pita to deal with. I know i used to and my friend can open the "s" link with his LG phone.

Problem 2:
Once I open a my maps link on my phone (after taking the "s" off), I cannot get it to do a Turn by Turn navigation of the map, but My friend is able to. Does anyone else have this capability?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to get this to work, I am out of ideas.

Thanks

It sounds like you set a default that opens all links (no matter where they're clicked from) in a browser.

Go to your app settings for the browser (whichever one you use) and reset to default. That should clear the default action of clicking on links that always will open with a browser.

Once you do that, you should get an option to open in Google Maps (when you click on a link sent from your cpu to your phone).

That's the only thing I could think of that would make this happen. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you set a default that opens all links (no matter where they're clicked from) in a browser.

Go to your app settings for the browser (whichever one you use) and reset to default. That should clear the default action of clicking on links that always will open with a browser.

Once you do that, you should get an option to open in Google Maps (when you click on a link sent from your cpu to your phone).

That's the only thing I could think of that would make this happen. Hope that helps.

I had done this yesterday to make sure, but did it again last night to double check and it still won't work for me. Thanks for the help.

Anyone else?

Maybe reinstall the email and maps apps?

Upvote 0
I had done this yesterday to make sure, but did it again last night to double check and it still won't work for me. Thanks for the help.

Anyone else?

Maybe reinstall the email and maps apps?

Instead of using email to send the link from your desktop to your phone, why not use Google Chrome to Phone. Of course, this would require you to download the Google Chrome Browser on your desktop (IMO, best browser on the market). Once you have the Chrome Browser and you've downloaded the chrome to phone app, you just need to set up the google chrome to phone link with your cell phone. From there, it's as easy as clicking the cell phone button and it'll automatically send the link you're looking at (whether google maps or any other website), to your phone.

Your phone will receive a notification and when you click on that, it'll give you an option for maps.

Chrome to Phone is one of my favorite apps. I'm in front of a computer majority of the day and there are many times where, when I step away from my desk, I want to continue reading an article or doing some research while on the go (e.g. out to lunch, doing errands, etc.).

Here's the app and explanation of what it does:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLmNocm9tZXRvcGhvbmUiXQ..

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...m_source=en-ha-na-us-sk-ext-ctp&utm_medium=ha

Upvote 0
Yes, I cleared the defaults for the browsers on my phone.

Yeah, the work IT dept is a source of frustration to say the least!

You know, I just re-read your first post.

On the nav part (after you've opened in Google Maps, on the phone), are you clicking the NAV button? There's a NAV button on Google Maps that'll launch driving directions.

Upvote 0
You know, I just re-read your first post.

On the nav part (after you've opened in Google Maps, on the phone), are you clicking the NAV button? There's a NAV button on Google Maps that'll launch driving directions.

There isn't a little blue arrow to click on to start the navigation. I can go into the main menu system (in the top left) and click on that navigation but it wont follow my custom route from the link.

I thought about reinstalling both maps and gmail, to see if that would correct this, but it says I might not be able to reinstall a pre loaded app if I uninstall it, so I haven't tried it yet. Will it not let me reinstall them?

Upvote 0
There isn't a little blue arrow to click on to start the navigation. I can go into the main menu system (in the top left) and click on that navigation but it wont follow my custom route from the link.

I thought about reinstalling both maps and gmail, to see if that would correct this, but it says I might not be able to reinstall a pre loaded app if I uninstall it, so I haven't tried it yet. Will it not let me reinstall them?

Was google maps pre-installed? I honestly can't remember. The stock email app, I don't think you can even uninstall that, unless you're rooted.

I see what you're saying, so you want to take a "custom route" and have that translate to NAV driving directions exactly. Only way to do that in the Google Nav app is to make the changes because the Google Nav app is set to find the "fastest route."

Upvote 0
Was google maps pre-installed? I honestly can't remember. The stock email app, I don't think you can even uninstall that, unless you're rooted.

I see what you're saying, so you want to take a "custom route" and have that translate to NAV driving directions exactly. Only way to do that in the Google Nav app is to make the changes because the Google Nav app is set to find the "fastest route."

I have done it a couple weeks ago, as well as a friend currently, where you can save you custom route from the computer and send it to yourself, and open it with the app and it will navigate that route for you. But it won't do it know, that is why I'm frustrated and confused.

Upvote 0
I have done it a couple weeks ago, as well as a friend currently, where you can save you custom route from the computer and send it to yourself, and open it with the app and it will navigate that route for you. But it won't do it know, that is why I'm frustrated and confused.

That's interesting. I've never been able to translate a custom route onto driving navigation. I've been able to do it for turn-by-turn directions on Google Maps, but not to translate to google nav.

Every time I've connected directions to google nav, from google maps, it always converts it to the "fastest route" and not the directions I mapped out.

If you want to see the turn by turn directions, that's still possible (just tried it). Once you click on the link to open google maps from your email, just click the menu button and there's a pop-up bar that'll come up from the bottom of the phone that'll allow you to select turn-by-turn directions.

BTW, are you sending to a gmail address or another email?

Upvote 0
That's interesting. I've never been able to translate a custom route onto driving navigation. I've been able to do it for turn-by-turn directions on Google Maps, but not to translate to google nav.

Every time I've connected directions to google nav, from google maps, it always converts it to the "fastest route" and not the directions I mapped out.

If you want to see the turn by turn directions, that's still possible (just tried it). Once you click on the link to open google maps from your email, just click the menu button and there's a pop-up bar that'll come up from the bottom of the phone that'll allow you to select turn-by-turn directions.

BTW, are you sending to a gmail address or another email?

gmail, i'll try a different one to see if it makes any kind of difference though.

Yeah, I can do the list of turns as well. If I explained my reasons it would probably make more sense. We run a car club cruise a couple times a year, and if were able to distriute a electronic map that could be used in turn by turn that would be amazingly more helpful than a paper packet with the turns and maps, like is handed out now. I guess we'll have to keep trying it.

Upvote 0
gmail, i'll try a different one to see if it makes any kind of difference though.

Yeah, I can do the list of turns as well. If I explained my reasons it would probably make more sense. We run a car club cruise a couple times a year, and if were able to distriute a electronic map that could be used in turn by turn that would be amazingly more helpful than a paper packet with the turns and maps, like is handed out now. I guess we'll have to keep trying it.

It really sounds to me like it continues to save your default choice as "browser" for any html link. Only reason I say that is, I tested it out on my phone and it gave me several options still.

Try this. Download an alternate browser (e.g. dolphin or something else). Then, see if that'll give you the option to choose different apps to open the link, but don't click the radial button that says "use this action as default." Downloading an alternate browser option should un-do the default and give you different selections.

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm sure its on there, as I said, I can open the links with the maps app but I have to manually remove the "s" from https:... in the link on my computer first. Thats what I'd like to avoid.

Only thing I could think that would completely fix it would be to hard reset and re-install apps.

I can tell you right now that it works fine on the photon, as far as launching in Google Maps, because I did it earlier today, just to test it out.

Did you check for any updates that Google Maps might've had recently?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones