1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Trouble connecting to school network on phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by candroid11, Sep 21, 2011.

1. candroid11

candroid11 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    I've got another question for you guys. The problem is that I can't connect properly to my school's network. This is how the network works: your computer will automatically connect to the signal, but as soon as you open a web browser you are forced to enter your info and password to authenticate. After this you can use the internet freely. My phone is able to recognize the signal and it shows up on the phone, but when I open a web browser it will not direct me to that authentication page I previously mentioned. Being able to connect to the network would help me cut back on my data useage so I would really like to figure out this issue.

Advertisement

2. Triska

Triska Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    You might need to talk to your IT department. I can't connect on mine either, but I just set up my iPad for my classroom and there were extra steps to use their wifi that didn't show up on my phone.

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
  4. candroid11

None

Sep 21, 2011
    Somehow I managed to connect on one occasion actually, but I have no idea what I did differently. Must have just been luck.

As for the suggestion about talking to the it dept...I could try but I don't think they will help. My school has about 20 000 students so they probably wouldn't have time for me.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    bits & bytes
    left coast USA
    Our campus wireless works a lot like yours. On my mobile devices, after opening browser, I have to reload / refresh the home page and then the authentication page appears.

There may be documentation on your school's web site that gives steps for connecting to the wireless network from different kinds of devices.

We have computer lab and residence hall staff to help students with things like this here. There may be something similar at your school.

6. candroid11

None

Sep 21, 2011
    Next time I am on campus I will try experimenting with some different browsers to see if I have any luck. So far I have tried opera mini and the stock browser.