• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trouble flashing CM7 and questions about what to wipe in that process

Shaneh39199

Jul 24, 2011
USA
Hey fellas i got a quick few questions im a bit new to the flashing rooting still

I have cyanogenmod 7.2.0RC0 installed this will be my first time updating (i thought this had push updates?) so i have a few Q's what do i need to clear when updating

pretty much is the process the same as first time installing? i dont want to have to re-download all apps and lose my config for all the options to every single thing lol

Could someone refer to/quick explain the updating process while keeping apps,data safe

also am bit out there.....how is CM9+ICS doing? i completely understand both are still alpha im just curious. not curious enough to install and risk losings everything but just wondering in-case its not THAT bad. i do keep up when the changelogs are updated :)

Hey fellas i got a quick few questions im a bit new to the flashing rooting still

I have cyanogenmod 7.2.0RC0 installed this will be my first time updating (i thought this had push updates?) so i have a few Q's what do i need to clear when updating

pretty much is the process the same as first time installing? i dont want to have to re-download all apps and lose my config for all the options to every single thing lol

Could someone refer to/quick explain the updating process while keeping apps,data safe

also am bit out there.....how is CM9+ICS doing? i completely understand both are still alpha im just curious. not curious enough to install and risk losings everything but just wondering in-case its not THAT bad. i do keep up when the changelogs are updated :)

If you read the first page of both cm7 & cm9 releases your questions will be answered

http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/470282-rom-cm7-tg-reloaded-final-03-25-a.html

http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...rom-alpha-triumph-cm9-v0-6-12-0-released.html

Upvote 0

Id like to thank you for the copy and paste. and no my questions are specific and are NOT answered i asked which cache/wipe options i need to watch out for because i want to keep personal data.not a complete wipe.

As of now my phone wont even boot up. i wiped/formatted everything because doing the steps in the link you posted (which ive done before) left lots of leftovers that dont belong when updating.

now my phone wont get past the red moto pic.

<frustration redacted>

now that my work phone is royally effed.

Upvote 0

Shaneh39199 said

The copy & paste is a must because this question is asked many many times and people don't like to read and do the homework that is needed and want the answers given to them. This is the main reason people use windows instead of linux also ;)

FROM THE FIRST PAGE

Installation:

Follow these simple instructions (there is a step by step video also) if you've never flashed a ROM on the MT. If upgrading from a previous CM7, need to wipe cache & advanced -> dalvik-cache in recovery mode[/B] (it keeps user data).

Is this NOT what you want to do ??

You DID make a NANDroid backup in recovery (DO NOT use the Titanium Backup App, which can cause more problems) right ??

How does this NOT answer your questions ? (all on first page)

Sorry if this sounds mean, but your answers are here, you just have to read.

Shaneh39199 said
also am bit out there.....how is CM9+ICS doing? i completely understand both are still alpha im just curious. not curious enough to install and risk losings everything but just wondering in-case its not THAT bad. i do keep up when the changelogs are updated

Again if you read the 39 pages, I believe you will find everyones opinion (Human and in real-time not copy and paste) and what state the rom is in, instead of just repeating of what was said in those 39 pages.

Another reason for the copy & paste.

And if your NOT using a Triumph .... I am speechless ....

Upvote 0
i asked which cache/wipe options i need to watch out for because i want to keep personal data.not a complete wipe.
You need to do a wipe of /data /system /cache and the dalvik cache. You should never keep /data from one ROM to another, it causes a lot of issues. The steps you need to flash the ROM are in the posts for the ROM that they linked for you.

As of now my phone wont even boot up. i wiped/formatted everything because doing the steps in the link you posted (which ive done before) left lots of leftovers that dont belong when updating.

now my phone wont get past the red moto pic.
Have you booted into recovery and tried wiping/reflashing?

<frustration redacted>

now that my work phone is royally effed.

Chill out, they were only trying to help. No need to get upset about someone trying to help you when they do it in a way you don't want.

Upvote 0
Shaneh39199 said

The copy & paste is a must because this question is asked many many times and people don't like to read and do the homework that is needed and want the answers given to them. This is the main reason people use windows instead of linux also ;)

FROM THE FIRST PAGE

Installation:

Follow these simple instructions (there is a step by step video also) if you've never flashed a ROM on the MT. If upgrading from a previous CM7, need to wipe cache & advanced -> dalvik-cache in recovery mode[/B] (it keeps user data).

Is this NOT what you want to do ??

You DID make a NANDroid backup in recovery (DO NOT use the Titanium Backup App, which can cause more problems) right ??

How does this NOT answer your questions ? (all on first page)

Sorry if this sounds mean, but your answers are here, you just have to read.

Shaneh39199 said
also am bit out there.....how is CM9+ICS doing? i completely understand both are still alpha im just curious. not curious enough to install and risk losings everything but just wondering in-case its not THAT bad. i do keep up when the changelogs are updated

Again if you read the 39 pages, I believe you will find everyones opinion (Human and in real-time not copy and paste) and what state the rom is in, instead of just repeating of what was said in those 39 pages.

Another reason for the copy & paste.

And if your NOT using a Triumph .... I am speechless ....

Alright i apologize for my rudeness : /. your correct all the info is there-step by step videos i just couldn't find my answer from it all which is ""If upgrading from a previous CM7, need to wipe cache & advanced -> dalvik-cache in recovery mode[/B] (it keeps user data). ""

As to the nandroid backups i never have done this. i know its advised...
No your not being mean at all i was the asshole..

not this is here i have to disagree ive read all pages for CM9 and ICS. if anything its more of you guys talking and fixing issues/people complain about cam not working...i suppose i could just ask in a new thread. theses forums are for devlp i want generally discussion.

And yes im using the moto triumph i just haven't updated this profile from when i first made it XD

Now for the hard part :( ive formatted the system and now cant get past the red moto pic. ive tried putting a fresh image folder onto the phone/went into recovery and tried all that stuff nothings getting me past the moto pic

What work=recovery/CWM/Download mode

What doesn't work=The phone lol once again i apologize for my attitude and rudeness last night. i was pretty pissed that i slapped my phone with a complete wipe and caused issues

Upvote 0
Shane, there is a link for the stock Nandroid in the all things root guide sticky. Try restoring that after booting into recovery. If that doesn't work try flashing the bone stock ROM. One of those should work to get your phone working again. Then we can worry about getting CM7 on it.

Also, I moved your issue to it's own thread sjnce it's turning into a long process and we don't need to clog the ROM thread up with it. It may also help others that have a similar issue in the future easier. :)

Upvote 0
Shane, there is a link for the stock Nandroid in the all things root guide sticky. Try restoring that after booting into recovery. If that doesn't work try flashing the bone stock ROM. One of those should work to get your phone working again. Then we can worry about getting CM7 on it.

hey agentc- how do i go about the restore process....like do i take it into download mode or find a microSD reader for my pc and put it on there?

Upvote 0
A card reader. Or possibly another phone with an sd card slot to transfer the files. Check out the installing CWM and a custom ROM sticky for step by step instructions on restoring a Nandroid.

Also, I would strongly recommend ALWAYS having a working Nandroid on your sd card to restore if you have issues (I think I have 5 or so on mine.)

Upvote 0
A card reader. Or possibly another phone with an sd card slot to transfer the files. Check out the installing CWM and a custom ROM sticky for step by step instructions on restoring a Nandroid.

Also, I would strongly recommend ALWAYS having a working Nandroid on your sd card to restore if you have issues (I think I have 5 or so on mine.)

"http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/392756-100-stock-nandroid-backup-stock-recovery.html#post3048801"

i cant put anything on the SD card....and my PC has no card reader....any other options??

Upvote 0
@shane/piper

I understand how frustrating it can be if you mess up your phone, and the frenzy that sets ins when that happens. Just remember to keep it civil here. It can be very tough sometimes, but keep that in mind. :)

@shane

Thanks for being big enough to apologize. :D Like I said above, it is understandable how you are feeling, bug we don't want fighting/bickering here. ;)

Now back to the issues at hand...
;)

Upvote 0
"http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/392756-100-stock-nandroid-backup-stock-recovery.html#post3048801"

i cant put anything on the SD card....and my PC has no card reader....any other options??

You will need to be able to get it on your sd card somehow. Can you use someone else's phone to do it? (using your card in their phone?) Or a different computer that would have a card reader?

I can see about uploading my copy of the image folder for download mode when I get home from work this afternoon. But it probably won't do you any more good than the other one.

I am guessing that you understand the importance of a Nandroid now eh?

Upvote 0
You will need to be able to get it on your sd card somehow. Can you use someone else's phone to do it? (using your card in their phone?) Or a different computer that would have a card reader?

I can see about uploading my copy of the image folder for download mode when I get home from work this afternoon. But it probably won't do you any more good than the other one.

I am guessing that you understand the importance of a Nandroid now eh?

im still gonna have to find the bigger part of the card reader.

lol to be honest i formatted the sd card too,nothing escaped my cleanse of rage....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones