• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trouble importing contacts from Facebook

Hi folks! Quick introduction: 20 years old, from Oslo - Norway. Been lurking on this forum for a while, and just decided to register mainly because the following post contains the first problem I couldn't figure out by just searching.

I got my first android phone a couple of weeks ago (HTC Desire HD), and there is one thing that is starting to annoy me. I am aware that this has been partially brought to this forums attention before, but there is one thing that I can't find an answer to;

As you may know, when you import contacts from "Facebook for Android" or "Facebook for HTC Sense" you get ALL your facebook contacts in your contactslist, with no deletion option other than actually deleting them from facebook. This is, in my opinion, absurd. Does anyone actually want all their facebook "friends" on their phone? I hardly doubt it. On my facebook I have "long lost" friends that I haven't talked to in years, ergo I dont want them on my phone. But this doesn't necessarily mean that I want to delete them from the only place where I actually can contact them - should I want to. Get it?

I've come to the conclusion that I have to deactivate facebook syncing on my phone, which unfortunately means that I'll lose all my contacts, including the ones that I actually want in my list.

So to my question:

Is there a way to magically transform facebook synced contacts into "real" contacts, before deactivating the sync? Let me explain:

Gordon Freeman is a good friend of mine. I got him in my list when I activated the FB sync. If I deactivate, I'll lose him and have to manually add him later. Is there a way I can "protect" him from deletion, or "convert" him into a regular contact?

Thanks in advance!

You can hide them by long pressing their name. They won't show up in your contact list.

No, that doesn't work. If i long press someone I get these options: Call mobile, Block caller and Set default action.

Another thing:

I just deactivated FB sync, so I lost all my contacts, except the ones I've added manually. BUT when I go to "People" there are only 3 people in my list, even though I've pressed "View All". If I go to "Groups" and then "Frequent" there are 15 people there. Why is this happening? And how can I get them "Frequent's" into my "All"-list?

Upvote 0
In contacts press menu then view and you can deselect the FB contacts and they won't appear. Your friend will disappear too if you haven't manually added him to your Gmail/Phone contacts list but if he's a good friend then you probably want to add him don't you?

Upvote 0
In contacts press menu then view and you can deselect the FB contacts and they won't appear. Your friend will disappear too if you haven't manually added him to your Gmail/Phone contacts list but if he's a good friend then you probably want to add him don't you?

That's my question; is there a way to convert fb-contacts to normal phone contacts without having to MANUALLY add one by one?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones