• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trouble updating firmware with Kies

smileyguy

Mar 16, 2010
I'm having trouble updating the latest firmware with Kies.

Kies tells me there is an update available (KG1). I go through the steps to update (just click update and OK to the backup warning etc) but then the program seems to freeze (and it's greyed out).

After 5 mins I press the home button on the phone and then again to disconnect from Kies and THEN Kies starts downloading the firmware, but can't update as no device is connected!

I can browse to the phone no problem. Kies just seems to freeze but beeps when I click it - that's it. The phone has a blue bar under the clock that just says "MTP Application" and says press the home key to disconnect from Kies. If I don't try to upgrade firmware all the other features of Kies seem to work with the phone . . .

Is there a setting I have to change on the phone? I currently have Android 2.3.3 (KE7)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones