• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble with backup using Helium

J

jamistasty

Hi all, I'm pretty desperate for a fix, so I hope you can direct me to some help.

I backed up all my app data on Helium today. I checked after that it recognized all my backed up apps and gave the option to restore all of them. After I factory reset, it now says it can't find them. I see all the folders on the SD card, but they're not recognized. My SD card was removed from the phone during the restore, all my photos on the card are fine, so I don't know what happened.

Most people seem to fix it with this method: 1. Start Helium 2. pick any "dummy app" to create a backup from 3. Exit Helium 4. Check where it placed the backup files, and which files those are (a backup consists of multiple files) 5. Copy your backup files to that location 6. Check if for each app there are all the files you've checked above1 7. Start Helium again, it now should find the backups 8. Restore whatever you wanted to restore

But it still only sees the recently backed up apps, not the many others from before the reset I've pasted there. What is different about my previously backed up apps that it is not recognizing? Please help, I'm so confused and I don't have any other backups.

This is my first time trying to back up my app data, and I'm super frustrated that this app that seemed so useful completely failed me.

Please PLEASE tell me there's something I can do to fix this! I'll try anything. Oh and also I have a galaxy s5, if that helps.

Thank you for reading, any help is super appreciated.

Copy the carbon folder from the sd card to internal memory and restore from there.

I'd love to try that, but another thing that's confusing me about this app and backup is that I don't see the files - I see all the folders that look like the backups, but they look empty. The strange part is, the folders of the "dummy" backups I create, as per the method that I tried - those folders look empty too, but the app still sees them and gives me the option to restore.

Are the files hidden somehow?? Sorry I'm not too good with this stuff, but is there something silly that I'm missing to make the files visible? I mean, I guess they could be actually empty, but the fact that the app took a bit of time to backup leads me to believe there had to be SOME kind of files moving, right? Also the fact the app sees the new backups I make without showing me files.

Thank so much for your quick responses!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones