• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble with call quality

cpolek1020

Aug 18, 2012
My fiance got an LG Volt when it first came out and I followed suit when my HTC One V died 3 weeks ago.

My first LG Volt had an issue where I couldn't call out, at all, after about a week of having the phone. So I returned it to Best Buy (thankfully I was within my 14-day return period) and picked up another. Now, my second has horrrrrible call quality.

For instance, I called my future mother in law last night from my apartment. She said I sounded hollow and echo-y (and on my phone SHE sounded scratchy and echo-y). Then I called her from my fiance's phone, in the same location in the apartment. Crystal clear call quality.

Anyone have this problem? Should I return the phone (again!) and try again?

I have about 8 days left of the current return window.

Ugh. And now I'm not getting notifications of text messages, and my keyboard keeps disappearing and there's no way to get it back except wait for it, and 90% of my apps crash within 10 seconds of opening them. This phone is pretty much useless.

Going back to Best Buy tonight.

Are you getting the texts themselves, but not the notifications? If so, I had that problem and it drove me nuts. Eventually Virgin Mobile replaced the phone (for that and some of the freezing/crashing problems you're having) . The replacement has been fine. Quality control does seem a bit sporadic with these phones :(

Upvote 0
Are you getting the texts themselves, but not the notifications? If so, I had that problem and it drove me nuts. Eventually Virgin Mobile replaced the phone (for that and some of the freezing/crashing problems you're having) . The replacement has been fine. Quality control does seem a bit sporadic with these phones :(

Correct. The texts are there, but I don't know they're there until I open the messaging app. Did you buy your phone from VM? I purchased through Best Buy so I'm assuming I have to deal with Best Buy for all of this, but if that's not the case let me know!

Upvote 0
Correct. The texts are there, but I don't know they're there until I open the messaging app. Did you buy your phone from VM? I purchased through Best Buy so I'm assuming I have to deal with Best Buy for all of this, but if that's not the case let me know!

As long as you are within Best Buy's return policy, it's expected that you go through them. However, if you feel they are doing you no good, you can go to LG directly. If you feel the issue isn't with the phone, but rather a configuration/network problem, you can get some troubleshooting help from VM.

Upvote 0

Yes, I did get my phone directly from Virgin Mobile. Even if you didn't order from them, though, they will honor the 1 year warranty on your phone by sending you a replacement if they decide you need one after troubleshooting... but if you're still within Best Buy's return window, it's probably easier to work with them.

I actually started a thread a while back about the no-notification problem, but at that time, no one else had encountered the same issue. Even a reset didn't help for me, so yes, definitely get a different phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones