• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trouble with rooting my HTC Desire

ok, now in Titanium backup phase, going one by one on all backup options and then will make a copy of SD card on my laptop. The dGB sounds great, yet you put it in an exception, does this mean it's a bit more tricky for simpletons like myself? (the bottom line, It seems I manage to read and follow all directions, my debugging abilities are low;-).

Sense - I've never changed any settings on my phone, so don;'t know what to expect, have no problem trying anything, once I complete backup.

Cheers

Upvote 0
dGB is very simple, stable and fast. It does not include an a2sd script, which was the main caveat. To get the most from it you need to use a "custom hboot" that will repartition your internal storage - shrinking your /system partition (where the ROM lives) and giving the space you your /data partition (the user's internal storage - user apps and app data). You can also move apps to SD as with the stock ROM to save more space.

The custom hboot is a slightly more "advanced" mod than partitioning the sd card, because the sd card is not vital to the phone but the bootloader is :)

The download site for dGB also includes the custom hboot for it - 2 versions, 60 and 65. If you think you might make any changes to the system (even theming) then 65 might be better. There will also be md5 checksums for these - it's important to use these to check that you have a good download, because you don't want to flash a corrupted hboot. The "root memory faq" has a section on custom hboots, and you can find instructions for flashing them at alpharev.nl. Read these until you are happy, or ask for more info, because this isn't something you want to get wrong.

Having said all of that, you don't have to do it straight away. You can flash dGB just like any other ROM without using the custom hboot - the only drawback is that you don't get any extra space for apps that way. This is actually what I'd recommend: try the ROM without changing hboot and see whether you like it. If you do, you can then take a recovery backup, flash the custom hboot, then restore the backup, and this will give you the extra space. If you don't like it, you can just try another ROM or revert back to the original one and don't need to worry about custom hboots (yet - if you get into this you'll try them sooner or later ;)).

Reactions: barbarosa
Upvote 0
Thanks for clarifying that 1, I think I will try out some ROM's first as you suggest, including this one and then decide.

You make it sound so easy to switch between them, I still need to figure out all the small details of the ROM flashing (wiping, partitioning, the backuping 1st etc) I'm not sure I should flash now but complete another round or two of reading so I feel in a more comfortable zone.

Your guidance is very good, you should find a job as Guru (if you're not already;-)

Upvote 0
Hadron is certainly the HTC Desire guru.

If you take a full backup from recovery you can restore it within minutes so try as many ROMs as you like. Make sure contacts are synchronized & back up sms. Use titanium to back up user apps including data. Remember to wipe data & cache via recovery before flashing then experiment to your heart's content.

Upvote 0
I've done backup with Titanium + Nandroid and copied everything to my computer as well. Couple of questions if you can help :

When switching between roms - what sort of wipe should I do each time and is the 4ext trustworthy tool for this?

Partitioning - I can use 4ext for this, as Hadron suggested, are there any specific partitions and sizes I should chose?

Tx

Upvote 0
Thanks, once I do this, I'd like to start off and try different ROMS. Can't find any specific guide on ROM flashing, is there any in the forum? or other?

Cheers

As usual, my sluggish brain decided to simply install from zip, installed Mildwild, let the games begin :)

Your help is greatly appreciated, wouldn't have gotten this far without your guidance.

Have a great day

Upvote 0
Are you sure they are on SD? Moving apps to SD doesn't move the data, and the factory reset will have removed all apps anyway (including any moved to SD).

The procedure is to take an app/data backup before flashing the ROM (e.g. Titanium Backup. The paid version can back up messages in a format that can transfer between ROMs, otherwise you need a separate message backup. And if contacts aren't synced with google, export them to SD as well). After flashing the ROM you can then restore from the backup.

If you didn't take the backups, restore your nandroid, take the backups, then flash the ROM again. Titanium Pro (paid) says it can restore apps from some nandroid backups, but I've not tried this myself.

Upvote 0
Thanks, the apps and data that were installed are not critical, I'm actually enjoying starting off fresh and clean. I just want to understand how all this works so I can backup correctly from now on. I'm using Titanium backup as you suggested, plus making relevant copy PC so I guess I'm covered, except for messages, which are not critical for me.

Am now using Mildwild after trying 3 other ROMS today, it seems fitting for my current needs. I still haven't found a good tutorial and links for the Apps2sd script. I have enough room atm, since all the crappy factory crap has been removed, but still would like to do it. Any suggestions? I read the threads here in the forum, but it looked like steps were missing and no links to explain the script\what needs to be installed.

Thanks

Upvote 0
That ROM definitely has the apps2sd scripts activated by default & dalvik to sd. Your internal storage will still show as unchanged because it is unchanged. This is a common misconception. Your phone will be using the ext partition for apps but your internal storage for app data is unchanged. To check it is working look at the storage usage in Titanium Backup. It should identify 1gb of ext storage & tell you how much is being used.

Upvote 0
I'm very pleased it is all working for you.

Your ROM is based in Ihlades Redux2 which is built around the Thalamus kernel, one of the most stable & battery efficient for the desire. When Mildwild updated Redux2 he used a modified version of the kernel which offers battery improvements. Most people have used it without problems. However I have experienced stability issues & force closes with that kernel & believe Hadron had a similar experience when he used your ROM. If it's working well for you then that's great, but if you have any stability problems I can supply a copy of the original Thalamus kernel. Flashing a kernel its much easier than flashing a ROM. There's no need for a data wipe (although I would wipe cache & dalvik cache) so you don't lose anything. Let me know if you need it in the unlikely case that you have problems.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Shauny

No S-off yet. I'm not sure its even on the horizon. Although the X+ has a slightly bigger battery & a marginally faster processor it was only ever a stopgap & as such didn't sell that well so doesn't have a vast amount of dev support.

That said, it is a great phone. I haven't even bothered rooting it yet because at 64gb it's never going to have the storage issues the desire had & battery life is quite good too.

Barbarosa

Essentially you are right about kernels. They have to be compatible but the kernel your ROM has its a tweaked version of the original. It's the tweaks that seem to cause some people problems. If it was going to be an issue it would probably have shown up on the first day.

I have the One X+ which I am very pleased with. Hadron has the One so perhaps he will give you an insight. Looking forward to the Sense 5 update arriving soon I hope.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones