1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

True 100% Backgrounding App

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by juice421, Jun 8, 2011.

1. juice421

juice421 Newbie
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    There are many apps in Android that don't behave when you multitask or should i say TRY to multitask with them. Recently more and more apps just refuse to multitask, as they will either stop or reload themselves to their home screen when the app leaves the foreground.

For instance NetFlix, WatchESPN, TWEETCASTER, the native android music player and in-browser streaming radio/video apps will abruptly cease playing the second you do something else. Even worse when you return to the app you have to start all over as it won't be in the same menu as when you left the app. And these are just to name a few of these misbehaving apps.

I was hoping that some kind of app could solve this dilemma, where it would externally keep a chosen app "in memory" or in a locked state. This would give the power to the user instead of allowing the app to dictate how it should run on the OS. It would be 100% TRUE BACKGROUNDING for the Android OS!

I should be able to designate the app or apps that should be "backgrounded" or "locked" in memory, so that we could do any other tasks and if I was to return to the locked app it would be in the same exact state as when you left it.

If the "locked" or "backgrounded" app was a streaming video/radio app, then if you were to lock the app in memory, then the streaming video/radio should continue to stream or play in the background until you either manually exit the app or un-lock the app.

There were a few iphone apps that did this similar function as well, running off the "backgrounder" function. I'm hoping that this can be duplicated on the Android OS, as this is a very frustrating shortcoming of the Android OS. I realize that Android does offer true multitasking, but the problem is that it also caters to misbehaving apps, giving them the ability to not multitask.

I would imagine that the app would have to run under root, but I think this can be done. Anyone think they can offer this up to the community? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    Trying to stream HD and then multitask?
    I think you are asking a lot from a pocket computer.

3. sohguanh

sohguanh Android Enthusiast
    None

Actually Android OS does multi-task under the covers. It is just that when you open too many applications eating memory and processor cycle, Android OS will terminate those apps (not running actively) to save memory and processor to give end user a "seam-less and quick performing" enjoyment of your Android smart-phone.

The reason why some apps "misbehave" is because they did not code to what the Android SDK says. For e.g when orientation is changed, Android will call the app pre-defined SDK method and app developer are supposed to develop all their saving state in there to be allow to use later.

Likewise if Android terminate your app due to low memory, Android SDK will call some pre-defined SDK method and app developer are supposed to develop all their saving state in there to be allow to use later.

However such action is not mandatory on app developer part and that is why some app work while some app just go back to the beginning stage state.

Depending on app business function, the extra development effort may not worth the time. But say if the app is a timer, it is mandatory to continue running in background after the app is "hidden" as other app come up.

4. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    How is your music player not playing in the background?