• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TruPhone. Does it work for you?

tiredhiker

Jan 3, 2009
I have been going through all the VOIP programs but none seem to work for me as I am in Vietnam. Raketu will work but its more of a call back service and they want 18 cents a minute. If I connect to their website over WIFI then I am already in the USA and cost should be 1 cents a minute BUT that uses Raketu's web-out service which is Flash Based.
Now TruPhone is what I am looking for but the program will not work, always force closing. Am I having all these problems because I am in Vietnam? I also have a Magic Jack I can use at the intercafe but I want VOIP On my G1 !!!

Hi - I work at Truphone, so might be able to help answer your question.

The Truphone application for the G1 only works using our Truphone Anywhere solution (http://www.truphone.com/pricing/truphone_anywhere) which basically allows calls to be made over the Internet, via a local phone server. It does not work over Wi-Fi.

So you call the number you want to dial, and the phone makes a local GSM call to a local Truphone server in your country. From there, the server routes the rest of the call via the Internet.

Problem is that not all countries have a local Truphone server. At the moment, only 33 countries do, and Vietnam is not one of those countries, which means that Truphone will not work on the G1 in Vietnam, because there is no local server to connect the GSM call to.

You can find out more at Google Phone Apps - Download the G1 Android Application by Truphone.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately, it means that you would need to use Truphone on the iPhone, a Nokia, or even an iPod touch 2nd Gen to make calls, which will all work if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.

- Heath from Truphone

Upvote 0
First off let me say that your answer is the best answer I have ever received on any of my question on this Forum. But the whold point of ANY VOIP Program is to save the end consumer money. In the other contries that will work with TruPhone how much are you charging per minute to call the USA? These VOIP Program should work like this: We connect over WIFI to your website IN THE USA. Once we are in the USA then calling any number in the USA should be between 1 and 2 cents a minute. So far Iskoot is letting me talk to the ECHO voice setup. BUT Skype will not allow calls from Vietnam .YET if I connect to them THROUGH ISkoot it seems to work. I have sent them a letter to ask about cost before I send them money. AGAIN since I am conected to their website in the USA I SHOULD Get cheap calls to any number IN the USA. With ISkoot I should be able to us Skype OUT which I beleive is 2 cents a minute. Once they confirm that I will send the $10 and give it a try. Right now I am using Magic Jack where I can call any number in the USA for "Free", that is $29 usd a year. I do not like yaking at an Internet Cafe as my Hotel does not have lines. Also Internet fee here in Vietnam that use ASDL is 3 hours for 1 USD. My hotel is a cheap hotel with fan andcoldwater but its 88 F every day AND its only $65 usd a MONTH. Yes I am a cheap sob and proud of it. I live here in Vietnam on $500 usd a month ! So GIVE ME my 2 cents a minute !!!

Upvote 0
Today I was at the internet cafe so I made a new SKYPE account. I loged on and then used my G1 to open ISKOOT to connect to my other account on SKYPE. Wow, I can talk to myself!!! BUT I look at my phone and it dialed an Internation number to connect to SKYPE !!! Really do not think that's the way to save money.... SKYPE to SKYPE cals are FREE ? Good Luck !
Why can't someone make a VIOP Program that works on the G1? They will not work from where I am (in Vietnam).

Upvote 0
Today I was at the internet cafe so I made a new SKYPE account. I loged on and then used my G1 to open ISKOOT to connect to my other account on SKYPE. Wow, I can talk to myself!!! BUT I look at my phone and it dialed an Internation number to connect to SKYPE !!! Really do not think that's the way to save money.... SKYPE to SKYPE cals are FREE ? Good Luck !
Why can't someone make a VIOP Program that works on the G1? They will not work from where I am (in Vietnam).

Well, is quite possibly a good thing that there Is NO VOIP working from where you are ... because I cant imagine having to audibly listen to that whinning noise ... it has become difficult to have to read the whinning .... there must be a VOIP god out there !!!! Do I hear any amens, brothers and sisters ??

Upvote 0
Its people like you that is the reason a company can put out a phone that was not ready to be sold... The G1 was sold on Hype and Promises... Now that they have my money I am being told to wait and wait and wait. Sorry. Not good enough for me.

Yes they have your money, you have a phone ... Buyer Beware!!

1.) You Bought it without testing it or reading what its limits were..

2.) No where have they(TMo or HTC) or did they ever promise any "Specific App" for VOUP to be written by Google, nor could they require any 3rd party developer to write one !!! --same goes for Flash, TomTom, G1-Vista, etc.

3.)
"Not good enough for me"
--- Then you could sell it.... an move on !! get over it !! life is to short ! :eek:

Upvote 0
sipdroid.org

Is it availablein the Market?
Has anyone used it?

Tried it, it is in beta, you need cupcake ver 1.5,
or be rooted to a 1.5 ROM Build

ANY Carrier may not permit VOIP over 3G, Edge, needs some account and password,

Actually you need to register at pbxes and then also set up another account with sipdroid ....

You might think that their app would take you through this process...

Dont think this is happening yet to many holes and broken links ... !!

Upvote 0
Downloaded it off their website but it will not even open. Yes needs cupcake so again we wait. Needs need a server of some kind to help it work and I will do that soon. BUT it looks like it might work. The rest of these so called VOIP programs are a rip off...

ONCE YOU CONNECT BY WIFI TO A US WEBSITE YOU ARE IN THE USA AND SHOULD BE ALE TO CALL FOR 1 CENTS A MINUTE, PERIOD !!!

The ONLY Reason to do it any other way is for some company to make a Buck off of you!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones