• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Truth about app killers and juice savers

Karlohumpy

Jul 29, 2010
Sorry if you were expecting an in-depth article :eek:

Im just wondering whats the deal with these two things? I've read conflicting evidence, for and against using them. My battery life is has been a bit short (i have only just got it though, so im on it almost permanently lol) over the past few days and i'm wondering if these will help or just make it worse!

Thanks for any help.

App killers are just plain unnecessary. The only time they are useful is if you have a badly coded app that won't shut down, and then the correct solution is to delete the crappy app. Not download an extra one to fix the problem.

Some people have luck with apps that claim to extend battery, some say they make them worse. It depends on your usage patterns. Personally I just downloaded Switchpro and I toggle the settings manually as I need them.

Upvote 0
Don't listen Phenomenoligical he talks shite, get yourself a task killer and use it to kill things like the internet and other apps. Conflicting :O)

Wow, your manners leave me in awe. And I'd hardly call the general consensus about task killers shite, just because you disagree.

• Running a task killer in the background uses the CPU much more than an idle app
  • Android kills applications automatically if it needs the RAM
  • If you feel the need to stop apps idling, you can exit them with the back button on your phone, without adding an extra application
  • Lots of apps automatically restart shortly after they are killed, which uses a lot more system resources than if they were just left idling
  • A vast number of people report both a performance and battery life increase when they uninstall their task killer

Upvote 0
Wow, your manners leave me in awe. And I'd hardly call the general consensus about task killers shite, just because you disagree.

• Running a task killer in the background uses the CPU much more than an idle app
  • Android kills applications automatically if it needs the RAM
  • If you feel the need to stop apps idling, you can exit them with the back button on your phone, without adding an extra application
  • Lots of apps automatically restart shortly after they are killed, which uses a lot more system resources than if they were just left idling
  • A vast number of people report both a performance and battery life increase when they uninstall their task killer

Joke man, conflicting get it, nope :D

Upvote 0
I've used mine several times especially when trying out new apps but also for the day to day stuff.

Apps occasionally crash for whatever reason. Apps can also leave things on that they shouldn't.

I've used it on the HTC Camera app as it crashed and wouldn't die. I've used it on Appaware to stop it constantly polling the GPS.

As long as you don't set it to auto-monitor and kill apps I can't see it uses much battery at all and is always there to kill things that won't die on their own.

Upvote 0
I don't, and haven't used a task or app killer. The reason I haven't is because several people who know their stuff when it comes to Android have advised against it. Simple as that really. It's down to the individual at the end of the day.

However, I have suffered none of the problems some people have reported. Eg. Lagging apps, the handset being slow to shut down etc.

Upvote 0
I use one but as OFI says sometime apps fails so it's handy to have someway to kill them.

It's not set to auto kill everything, if you know what to do then you can ignore 99% of programs on your phone but sometimes you need it.

Just as a side note, maybe total bolloacks but why would Google (Android) advertise that you need a task killer?? It's good for the propaganda that google phones don't need to kill tasks like Windows.

Upvote 0
I've stopped using task killer and can't say I've noticed any significant change, certainly not negative change. In addition to this, since updating to 2.2 a new app has been added (stock) called
"android system info" and this has many useful features including task kill so if a certain app is bothering me I stop it here but this is a rarity.

Upvote 0
since i stopped using both ATK and that juice thingy my battery life has been much better :)

However i did have a brief blip when the facebook update was running continually but i could close that manually via

menu > settings > apps > running services > close ones causing issues

however that facebook issue is now solved by devs :D

therefore keeping your eye on partial wake usage via 'spare parts' and closing in way shown above if necesary (which i doubt it ever will be bar dev issues) will keep battery life absolutely fine imo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones