• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Try this: Swype for Ally....with one catch

Gink

Feb 14, 2010
Bronco Nation
I found a version of Swype that works on the Ally. I tried to attach it but it failed so I'll just link to the page I found it below. The only catch is that if you rotate the phone with the keyboard open you'll get an error about screensize. Swype keyboard appears to work great using portrait orientation. Just found this on Google so I'm not responsible for it. Try it out and see what you think. Post results here for others.

swype beta apk file for those who missed it | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

No dice :(

I tried one from each of those links and when I select Swype as input method it immediately gives the error about screen size. The link I posted in the original post installs and shows up in portrait but when you rotate the phone landscape it errors out and it even errored out several other random times like when unlocking the phone. Very annoying - I had to remove it. Now I can't type worth a crap unless I use the hard keyboard.

Sure hope someone can get Swype working for this device - it would be a lifesaver for me!!!!

Upvote 0
what you guys need is for someone with developer experience to get an itch for this phone. Thats one of the benefits of the Eris over the Ally. The Eris came first so it has a great dev community. I'm willing to bet that most of the newer mid to low range phones get ignored until some of those devs get bored with the Eris or their contracts expire and they can upgrade.

Upvote 0
what you guys need is for someone with developer experience to get an itch for this phone. Thats one of the benefits of the Eris over the Ally. The Eris came first so it has a great dev community. I'm willing to bet that most of the newer mid to low range phones get ignored until some of those devs get bored with the Eris or their contracts expire and they can upgrade.

You're totally right. I went from an abundance of info on the Eris to almost NOTHING in the Ally. With the newer powerhouse phones I wonder if anyone will take an interest in the Ally. I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it. I have 3 more weeks to decide.

I did have an interesting situatio happen yesterday. I was having trouble with FB like I posted on another thread. I was also getting horrible lag when waking up the screen to unlock the phone after it had been off for awhile. I called VZW and they told me I had to contact Google about the FB issue because it worked fine on the device she was testing on while we were on the phone. I tried a hard reset to see if it would resolve the FB issue and while I was setting up my apps again, one of them froze up. I tried to power off with the button but couldn't get it to work so I tried to remove the battery but the battery was STUCK in the phone!!! Neither hubby nor I could remove it. VZW is sending me another brand new unit (thank goodness no refurb) and it should show up tomorrow. We'll see if this unit performs any better.

Ironically, as I've mentioned before, I've turned into a phone snob. I want one of the powerhouse phones (like the Inc) but I just don't like the larger profile of it or the Droid. I'm not sure there will be many of the smaller units out in the future. It seems like they're just getting bigger and bigger....hence the reason I'm scrutinizing the Ally very carefully. *sigh* What's a girl to do?

Upvote 0
For those who cant seem to find it. I did some googling a while back and manged to find one that works with Ally! (Portrait and Landscape.)

I should note though: Landscape view is not prefect as the period button and backspace dont not show fully on the screen.

I cant find where i originally found the download link so i uploaded the apk.

Swype_1.56.30.7625.t100_FWVGA_EN.apk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones