1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General trying out windows phone for a while.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by thekingsteven, Mar 2, 2016.

?

do you like androids look?

1. yes.

80.0%
  2. mo.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no

20.0%
  1. thekingsteven

thekingsteven Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2015
    Male
    lead sales associate at Dollar General
    alabama
    so I decided to get prepay phone because my phone plan was killing me... I seen the Lumia 640 on sale for 29.99 at best buy and decided to buy it... I had never used windows phone before so I had no idea what to expect. After a few hours with the phone I discovered that windows 8.1 phone is really nice looking. I mean it looks ,to me, far more clean and appealing then android. The apps I've use so far are all using the same style and the same navigational controls. You really feel emerged in what your doing because the navigation. Bar can be hid as well as the action center. I never had that with android at all.

Now after saying all that I do still love android, but after seeing how clean and good looking a mobile os can look I can't help but wonder why google doesn't try and make android look better. I know lollipop was a big design over haul but its still not as clean as I'd like. The notification bar being one of my biggest annoyances along with the home screens.

Advertisement

svim and psionandy like this.
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Glad you like it... there's a flavor of phone out there for everybody. But I like the ability to make my phone look exactly the way I want it, with icons and widgets right where I want them. Android does that for me :)

psionandy likes this.
  3. thekingsteven

None

Jan 7, 2015
    Male
    alabama
    I like the looks a feel... Android is still better I'm terms of what you can do, I just wish google would go and fix up the looks bit...

4. Sento

Sento Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    tbh i have been wanting to try windows phone for a while, just to see how it is - have you been experiencing any crashes/freezes? has it been pretty stable? tbh i hear windows phones are pretty good these days!

have you found a good adblocker for it yet? and i like the idea of going back to a nokia phone :D and tbh im a huge fan of the windows OS in general when it comes to my PC.

but you got the phone for 30 bucks unlocked with no contract??? thats insane!!

5. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    My daughter has a Lumia windows phone....
    her major complaint was that there is a virtual vacuum of available apps to help us out.

I bought her an HTC One M9 simply because of the front facing, dual speakers, and that it was a high end product with a fast processor.

I had never seen one, and personally, I hate the thing..... she has acclimated to it, and says it works for her...

lately, I have noticed that she is walking around with Irish Ballads singing to her all the time.... she is a choir singer, guess she loves the ballads...... "Braggadocio" a few years back, she was in a Women's choir from Oklahoma City that went to London and put on a performance for the Queen of England.....

6. codezer0

codezer0 Android Enthusiast

That is insane for a 640, since it is still considered mid-high end for Windows phone hardware. Only recently did we get a new high end with the 950/XL, and HP's upcoming Elite x3 that seems to be aiming for the stars.

From what I have seen measured online, Windows 8.1 on phones was a rock of stability, and the first release of 10 on the 950's is a glitch mob at present. My fiancee now has an unlocked 550 which came with 10, and that seems fine. So it might just be an issue(s) specific to the 950 series.

7. thekingsteven

None

Jan 7, 2015
    Male
    alabama
    I've had no issues at all with the phone at all. Most apps install right to the SD card and so the 8gb of space hasn't been an issue. So far after almost a week it hasn't crashed or anything. Windows seams more stable then android 6.
    And yes WalMart has the Lumia 640 from att for 30$ att lets u unlock it just don't Turn it on with the sim card in it....

8. augustkm

augustkm Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2016
    Male
    How about the battery performance?

9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    The Lumia 640 is equivalent of about $150 USD in China. It's not locked or anything, but it's only really suitable for one carrier anyway, it doesn't have TD-SCDMA or CDMA/EVDO. But then all Microsoft branded phones, Surface tablets and laptops are horribly overpriced here, more expensive than Apple! Found that out when I was looking for a new laptop a few months ago.

#9 mikedt, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  10. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Windows 8 left a bad taste in my mouth. Having my phone look like that is a big turn off for me.

I'm just so used to Android right now. There isn't anything I find that is glaringly bad about the Android UI.

11. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Win10 on the new 50-Series Lumia smartphones is actually rather good. I still much prefer the customisation and flexibility of Android, but Microsoft's recent offerings are solid and very good value-for-money. :)