1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Trying to change "8-bitify" stock icons

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by klear6, Feb 1, 2016.

1. klear6

klear6 Newbie

Not sure whether to post this here, on XDA, or to gImp - if you think I picked the wrong location please send me a link to a more suitable site where I can be helped.

I have a million trillion dollar launcher (actually not that much but would definitely have been worth it...) [Lightning Launcher]. Anyhow, it will allow me to change any icon I want to into any picture/color/icon/whatever graphical item I want.

I am going for an all 8-bit theme and there are not a ton of easily accessible free(ish) 8 bit icon packs. Sure, "simply 8 bit icons" from the app store is great, and the htc theme for icons "8 bit" adds a small amount of help - but not enough.

My main plan here is to "blockify" all of the standard icons. I could just give up and up with a million 8 bit icons that are usable but have no real connection to the app they link to. For example, I could have a space invader for my open office icon. As cute as that may be, it is not very informative or suitable. (Might use a space invader for the skymaps thingy though lol).

I need to be able to access the images for the icons for all my installed apps (downloaded ones and preinstalled htc on m9 ones). Then I can use an image manipulation tool such as gimp (which I am still a baby at but seems to be the most powerful) to pixellate them, resave them as .pngs and then transfer them to my phone so I can set it up in my newly created stlye. I would be happy to provide anyone with a completed package of icons once someone helps me figure this out. So how do I go about hunting down these elusive icons? I tried a search on the internal memory for *.png and, although it brought up plenty of graphics, none of them were the ones I needed. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that this mean I have to rip an apk. If that is true, what tool do I do that with? And what is the filetpye/location of the icon once I get into the package? I need to know how to maintain the transparency level so that I can still see through the empty areas around oddly shaped icons.

As I work with more and more customization and alteration the line between being a consumer and a developer has begun to blur and I feel like Indian Jones trying to walk across the invisible bridge. I know its there, I know I can pass it, I just need some dirt tho throw on it for a bit more of a guideline.

This may seem like wasted time but to me it is a pretty important project so if you have it in your heart and have the time to help please clue me in! I don't want anyone to feel they need to do my work for me but I could really use some help learning to understand what tools to use to do it myself.

Thanks guys
    Frosty

PS: What have you guys found that are decent graphics manipulation tools that can pixellate or blockify or whatever the new fangled term for drastically reducing the resolution and maintaining sharp colors? I appreciate the plethora of tools provided by gimp but it is a little confusing. I downloaded a guide for gimp but I don't think "icon pixellization" is going to be front and center on that one.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

I think that you can go into gimp choose Image/Mode/Indexed and I believe you can make your 8bit icons with that its been a very long time since i have messed with just 8bit colors though

RENEESUSAN likes this.