• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to connect rooted Allwinner A-23 to net

shakushinnen

May 22, 2017
Hi all,
I have an Allwinner A-23 tablet that I rooted with Kingo, and am having trouble connecting to Wifi with it.
It says "Authenticating" then for a couple of minute, then "Authentication Problem".
It may be just a password problem. I have no idea what the password is.
It's Android 4.2.2
Firmware 2.0.8
Model Q8H
And, oh yes ..... I have overclocked it No-frills CPU Control
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
..... john

and am having trouble connecting to Wifi with it.
It says "Authenticating" then for a couple of minute, then "Authentication Problem".
It may be just a password problem. I have no idea what the password is.

Unless that WiFi network you're trying to connect to is set to not require a password (a good indicator that this is likely to be a very risky network to even connect to), you still need the password. That's just a given.
And whether you're rooted or not, that's irrelevant to this issue. If you're at home, who set up your router? Ask them for the password. Or if you don't know who it was, you'll have to reset your router back to its factory defaults and re-configure again. If you're elsewhere however, you have to ask someone for that password.

Upvote 0
Hi svim,
Thanks for replying.
There seems to be two combinations on the router/modem:
- one states a 'web address' along with a 'use rname' and a 'password'
- the other states an SSID along with a 'pass phrase'.
Which one should I be concerned with, or is it the account password, chosen when one sets up an account on the tablet that I need?
...... john
P.S. This is the same router/modem that all of the computers in the house are connected to.

Upvote 0
The user name and password is probably referring to the login and password to access the page to do administrative and maintenance tasks on the router itself, The SSID with pass phrase is what you should focus on when you're trying to connect to a WiFi network for the first time -- the SSID is essentially the WiFi network name; and pass phrase is more or less equivalent to password.

Upvote 0
Thanks.
The account I'm using has my wife's name on it. How it got there, I have no idea. She says she didn't open an account on it, to her knowledge. Should I (can I) delete this account and open another one and try again?
...... john
This doesn't sound like a reference to your original question about WiFi. Is this now referring to the account you're logged into while using your tablet?
If it is, than yes, you should go into the Settings >> Accounts menu on that tablet, remove Google account and add your Google account back.
But if not, more details on just what 'account' you are asking about.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
An important point is that your tablet, running 4.2.2 (Jellybean), will be something of a challenge to continue using. Google stopped supporting Jellybean years ago now, and a lot of developers no longer make their apps support a version of Android that dated. This creates a situation where a lot of online services will also balk at working with such dated software, or at least be limited in functionality.
So don't be surprised when you run into problems trying to do certain things online, there's a reality that at some point you do need to upgrade if not to a new tablet but at least something newer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
4.2.2 was released in 2013, not old at all if this was a toaster oven but dated when it comes to an operating system.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Hi svim,
I'm sorry. I apologize for the confusion. I'm not familiar with most of the terminology regarding tablets. When I go to "Setting" "Wireless and Networks" "Wi-Fi" my wife's name shows up when I touch the Wi-Fi. I have no idea why. She says that she didn't put it there. (She's less tablet literate than I, so I'm sure she didn't.) When I hit her name it say 'Authenticating', After about 5 minutes it's still saying 'Authenticating'. I've tried adding the router password, but it doesn't help. Accounts only shows "+Add Account" (In that section Google only offers adding an account.) It seems to be a password problem with her account.
...... john

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones