• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to decide between the Hero or the Moment.

The likelihood of the Moment, or any other phone currently available, being physically capable of running Android 4.0 when it comes is really extremely small.

Basically, it's impossible to say what might be available in terms of official updates or 3rd party updates past 2.1 without at least having some idea what updates past 2.1 will even look like. At some point, the new OS releases will simply start to push past the hardware limitations of the phone. How quickly that will happen will depend on what kind of advanced features get built into future releases of Android. Without knowing that, your question is really impossible to answer.

Clark

Upvote 0
I know nothing about each OEM's update plans, and that's obviously a big deal for you.

But, for the phones themselves, I have some input.

We have both a Moment and a Hero. I've developed code and tested on both extensively.

Both devices have the capability to do multi-touch with their current Android versions. However, nobody does this except us. Imagine Multi-touch (very early Beta) and PhoneMyPC (when released in the next day or two) support MT zoom on Samsung, and have on HTC devices since the G1 release 15 months ago.

We will be releasing our Multi-touch code soon so other developers can use this feature (it is a bit of psudo-MT logic that works very well, on production phones).

Beyond that, I liked the Moment's screen much better than the Hero. It was brighter. The device seemed to scroll faster and overall had a better, more quality feel to it.

However, in memory-intensive applications, I found the Moment giving Out Of Memory errors at times when the Hero would work perfectly. I am still not quite sure why that was; we simply optimized until it worked properly on all devices.

If I had to choose, I would pick the Moment for the keyboard and brighter screen. If, however, I wanted the compactness more than the keyboard and didn't mind the slightly dimmer screen, I would pick the Hero. It all depends upon what you do with your phone, and your personal choice.

Overall, they're both terrific devices.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC
& Imagine Multi-touch

Upvote 0
The likelihood of the Moment, or any other phone currently available, being physically capable of running Android 4.0 when it comes is really extremely small.

Basically, it's impossible to say what might be available in terms of official updates or 3rd party updates past 2.1 without at least having some idea what updates past 2.1 will even look like. At some point, the new OS releases will simply start to push past the hardware limitations of the phone. How quickly that will happen will depend on what kind of advanced features get built into future releases of Android. Without knowing that, your question is really impossible to answer.

Clark
I didn't mean Android 4.0 specifically, I just meant I don't want something to come out that my device is capable of supporting, and not getting the option to, because Samsung would rather be buy their newer phone, when the other device I could have went with is getting the update. I think I'm pretty much settle on the Moment. Just gotta wait to have the cash now.

Thanks for all the help guys. And thanks much for your reply SoftwareForMe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones