• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to find this app. Scan/OCR/Search

monkeydust

Lurker
Sep 6, 2011
Looking for an app that can do the following. Allow me to take picture of a document, mostly typeface stuff - books,magazine,reciepts but ideally handwritten notes.

Let me store it locally and tag it and also covert to text through optical recognition.

I can then search for these documents on my phone by kewords.

Have played around with a few apps droidscan, document scanner. They are all good at capturing, storing and sharing images but none of them does what I want.

Any help?

Thanks
MD

Looking for an app that can do the following. Allow me to take picture of a document, mostly typeface stuff - books,magazine,reciepts but ideally handwritten notes.

Let me store it locally and tag it and also covert to text through optical recognition.

I can then search for these documents on my phone by kewords.

Have played around with a few apps droidscan, document scanner. They are all good at capturing, storing and sharing images but none of them does what I want.

I think you need a scan-to-pdf app.
CamScanner -Phone PDF creator, in the Market, does that.
But the resulting files are not searchable (on your phone; they may be searchable on a PC or Mac).

Afaik OCR for handwriting does not work yet. That will probably take another decade. (It took 3 decades to get OCR where it is today... still 2/3% mistakes; which is far too much for practical purposes).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones