• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying to flash a new ROM.

I would stay away from ROM Manager altogether. Go into bootloader and flash that way. You can do that by turning off your phone, and then holding the vol down button and power at the same time. I've never tried flashing a ROM with ROM Manager but I've heard it's buggy.

Which ROM are you trying to flash? It should be a zip file. If it's giving you trouble, it's possible that it's a bad download, so you could try re-downloading.

And always, always, always wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache prior to flashing a new ROM.

Upvote 0
i would recommend using either clockworkmod 2.6 or amon ra 2.3(my recommendation). you can get them from ref#1 in my sig.
1)download it
2)rename it to PC36IMG exactly. if you are using windows do not type "PC36IMG.zip" because windows hides extensions.
3)power off then press and hold power+vol down
4)phone should scan for the zip file and you are good to go.

Upvote 0
i would recommend using either clockworkmod 2.6 or amon ra 2.3(my recommendation). you can get them from ref#1 in my sig.
1)download it
2)rename it to PC36IMG exactly. if you are using windows do not type "PC36IMG.zip" because windows hides extensions.
3)power off then press and hold power+vol down
4)phone should scan for the zip file and you are good to go.

How come it needs to be named PC36IMG exactly?

Upvote 0
It needs to be named PC36IMG (PC36IMG.zip with the hidden extension) exactly because that is the only file name that the bootloader looks for. You can't flash a new recovery from recovery as its already running it. Recovery has to be shut down to make changes to it.

One more question, I was downgrading my PRI and I read that you had to name it as PC36IMG, but I didn't name it that and was able to downgrade it just fine. Any chance that something could be messed up?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones