1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Trying to help a friend with a broken unrooted Desire. Help please?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jhaeh, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Jhaeh

Jhaeh Member

My friend's Desire stopped working. Turn it on and you get a white screen with the HTC logo. That's it.

I have a Desire that I successfully rooted with the help of this forum and wondered if there's anything I can do to help him?

He's already sent it to HTC but it was returned as there were signs of water damage. This water damage was 11 months ago and hasn't affected the phone during that time.

I have the phone in front of me, anyone give me any options to try? He doesn't really mind what I try as it's currently broken and out of warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

factory reset or RUU is the only option really. Both result in lost data. If they dont work, it may be hard ware.

3. Jhaeh

Jhaeh Member

Holding down on volume and choosing recovery sends it back to the white screen. So does clear storage.

RUU, remind me please?

He doesn't really care about loss of data at this stage.

4. SUroot

What you would have to do is boot into fastboot (holding Back + Power from off) and then plug into USB.

Then you need to run an RUU (Rom Upgrade Utility from HTC) from a Windows PC. Its an .exe, you just run it and follow the prompts.

What network is the phone on? Is it branded (logos, splash screens etc)?

Jhaeh likes this.
  5. Jhaeh

Jhaeh Member

It's on Orange but unbranded from Carphone Warehouse. I've just realised he hasn't given me the SIM or memory card with it. Will that matter? He'll get it to me soon anyway.

Are there any decent (kinda n00b-friendly) guides knocking about at all?

6. SUroot

All you need to do is go to the toolbox thread in my signature and download the 2.29.405.5 RUU (theres a password on the last page of the thread you will need), then literally do what I said in my last post.

Jhaeh likes this.
  7. Jhaeh

Jhaeh Member

Excellent. Seems to have done the trick. Haven't tried with a SIM in it yet but it's not frozen anymore.

Thanks for that mate. :D

8. SUroot

No bother

Tags: