1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Trying to install duplicate app???

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by olechevytruck, Jan 5, 2012.

1. olechevytruck

olechevytruck Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Hey guys and gals... I'm pretty new to the android stuff, but I do know enough to be dangerous :D... Anyway, I'm an imobsters junkie and I'm trying to install a second "version", if you will, in order to create a second account in the game, hence having two (or three) seperate, usable Storm8 accounts. I have heard of ipad/pod/phone people doing this, and just wondering if it is possible using android... Anyone know how? If someone could help me with this I would be forever grateful... Thanks in advance for any help...

p.s. This is on a Rooted, Kyocerra Zio, Stock ROM, 2.2.
    I do have superuser access if needed. Thanks

Advertisement

2. XDieAndGoX

XDieAndGoX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 6, 2012
    Unemployed u.u
    Doral, Fl
    I am trying to do the same thing...

Only thing that comes to mind is manually editing the app. Of course, you will need to decompile and recompile the files in the .apk

I am still learning about .apk files and their structure. I managed to change the application's name by editing the Name string inside of the res/values/strings.xml file, but I am having problems recompiling the .apk

Now, doing this on an iDevice is much easier, but I guess it just takes time to learn the proper way.

My guess is that, for the app to be properly duplicated, it has to be given a different 'name'/identifier so that the device will recognize the app as one completely different from the original. Otherwise, if you edit an .apk and you install it without modifying whatever needs to be modified to make it different in the device's 'eyes', it will simply ask you if you want to replace the already existing original app.

I will post here again if I succeed in duplicating an app. :)

3. XDieAndGoX

XDieAndGoX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 6, 2012
    Unemployed u.u
    Doral, Fl