• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help trying to make transition between Samsung Epic4G from Palm Pro (Treo850)

Iovanna

Lurker
May 27, 2011
I want to have ONLY my Outlook Contacts and ONLY my Outlook Calendar on my new phone.
I want to keep my Gmail account ALONE. I do not want my Gmail Contacts on my Contacts or Android Contacts or whatever they are called!! ...anywhere on my phone, except when I am in Gmail.
With that said, I installed CompanionLink for this transition/synchronization. It took 5 minutes short of 3 hours, yes 3 hours for this Synchronization. I did it in 3 different occasions ...hence, my frustation and desperation!
Last night the Outlook Contacts appeared to be all correct (there are 3277) However, the Outlook Calendar, now called DejaCalendar only sync about a week before and a week after today. So I tried to sync again BUT only the Calendar (to shorten the 3 hours), now ALL the DejaContacts are gone, and ALL my Gmail Contacts are in my DejaContacts, last night these where under the Contacts icon ...as two seperate accounts! AND the DejaCalendar is completly empty!!!

Can anyone help?
First of all I want to know what exactly are Android Contacts? is this the same as (plain) Contacts? Because, the tech guy from CompanionLink said not to sync with Android Contacts ...I just want to know what that is!!

Also, when I did have my Outlook Contacts on my phone's DejaContacts yesterday I noticed if I went to Messaging, to send a text message the only contacts available for this where the ones on Contacts, I couldn't insert from the DejaContacts! To do so I had to go to DejaContact search for the person, click on it and then click the text icon! Is this the only way? It's just very complicated, too many steps! Why can I see or reach all "accounts" from the Messaging window?

If your answers are too complicated or require too many steps for you to write down, please don't hesitate to suggest a phone number for someone else to help, I just realized maybe I should be calling the CompanionLink people!! ...anyway, I want to know if my requests are even possible! I want to hear it from some one who knows the system ...not from the salesman who said yes to everything and then left me with four days of trial and error!!! Thank you!!

PS: I do have Outlook mail BUT don't care to synchronize it! Also, I do not have or use the Gmail Calendar! I specifically want to use Outlook because all my contacts (over 3000) are Categorized (over 40), this categories can be added and removed as I please, and Outlook allows me to manage them individually or in groups! IF THERE is ANYWAY to keep ALL these categories in the regular Contact of the new phone THEN I have no problem, the salesman said it could be done and wanted to transfer them right there at the store but I didn't trust him (he barely knew how it worked) I you KNOW for sure this Catergories will merge with the phone's Group then PLEASE let me know!!!

Iovanna,

I didn't see a post by you in the Epic 4G forums, so I thought I'd reply here with some help. Since you asked a few different questions, I'll break them down below.

It took 5 minutes short of 3 hours, yes 3 hours for this Synchronization. I did it in 3 different occasions ...hence, my frustation and desperation!
Last night the Outlook Contacts appeared to be all correct (there are 3277) However, the Outlook Calendar, now called DejaCalendar only sync about a week before and a week after today. So I tried to sync again BUT only the Calendar (to shorten the 3 hours), now ALL the DejaContacts are gone, and ALL my Gmail Contacts are in my DejaContacts, last night these where under the Contacts icon ...as two seperate accounts! AND the DejaCalendar is completly empty!

It sounds like there are some configuration issues here. You mentioned talking with support - have you asked them about this yet? They'll be able to help you ensure that you've set things up properly.

First of all I want to know what exactly are Android Contacts? is this the same as (plain) Contacts? is this the same as (plain) Contacts? Because, the tech guy from CompanionLink said not to sync with Android Contacts

"Android Contacts" refers to the built-in Contacts app that comes with the phone. Usually, it's just called "Contacts" on your phone. CompanionLink & DejaOffice have their own contact database that is stored separately from the Android Contacts. DejaOffice is able to sync its database with the Android Contacts if desired, but under certain sync setups it is not recommended, which is why our tech would have suggested against it. Essentially, since you want to keep Outlook separate from Google, you need to NOT sync DejaOffice to Android Contacts.

Also, when I did have my Outlook Contacts on my phone's DejaContacts yesterday I noticed if I went to Messaging, to send a text message the only contacts available for this where the ones on Contacts, I couldn't insert from the DejaContacts! To do so I had to go to DejaContact search for the person, click on it and then click the text icon! Is this the only way?

As noted above, DejaOffice stores its contacts in a separate database. It is possible to sync this database with the Android Contacts database, but under some sync setups it is not recommended. That said, the Android Contacts database ties in directly with things like Messaging and Caller ID, so users who want their contacts from DejaContacts to take advantage of those features would need to sync with the Android Contacts database. Like I said above, due to your desired sync setup, this is not recommended. However, there is a way around it. You could create a separate Google account and add that to the phone, then sync DejaOffice with that new Google account.

If your answers are too complicated or require too many steps for you to write down, please don't hesitate to suggest a phone number for someone else to help, I just realized maybe I should be calling the CompanionLink people!

I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with our Support Team! Free support is available via email or phone at http://www.companionlink.com/support/contact.html where one of our techs will be able to help you with any specific questions you may have!

Hopefully this helps! If you have any additional questions after talking to support, or want any clarification on my comments above, just let me know!

David Z.

Upvote 0
David thank you so much for replying! After 4 times of restoring the phone to factoey settings and 4 tries in synchronizing "I think" I finally did it. I believe the configuration issue was there and finally corrected it!!!
Thanks for clearing my Contacts doubt!!
The Messaging and Caller Id issues I fixed by pressing Read Android Data, so far so good no Gmail Contacts mixed with the Outlook ones!
If I'm wrong, I think I'll go to your suggestion of creating another google account!!

For now, my only concern is doing the syncing regularly! I tried it yesterday and it seemed like it was going at the same pace ...3 hours!!! Either this is the norm or I'm doing it wrong! with my other phone, the very first syncing took over an hour but my regular syncing (everyday/every other day) just took minutes! Are there specific instructions for this!! I have looked everywhere on your website but can't get to it!!
Thank you again, Iovanna

Upvote 0
You're welcome! To address your sync concern - the initial sync time will vary, depending on how many contacts/calendars/etc you have. For large databases, it can take a bit of time. That said, after the initial sync it shouldn't be taking that long. What method are you using to sync (USB, WiFi)?

- David Z.

Upvote 0
Well David I decided to go ahead to figure out how long. After about 4 hours I new something was wrong but the progess bar kept going ...I left to see what would happen ...it was doing "writing data to disk" I just came back and the bar hasn't moved obviously its frozen (even though the computer says it's running). I decided to cancel the synchronizing but it won't cancel!! I pressed ok on the phone as if it had finished and it says it is updating the Android Contacts ...I just hope all my data is still there when it finishes! at least on my computer! I'm freaking out! any suggestion? ...I'll keep u posted when done! Thanks, Iovanna

Upvote 0
Ok! it just finished and it seems like everything is still there ...I really need to check later. However, what can I do to speed up this process? It's obviously taking WAY TOO long, it's just not feasible!! Is there a number I can call to speak to someone, you or anyone who can walk me through the setting to verify them? By the way, the CompanionLink window on the computer never canceled, I just closed the window! Could there maybe be a problem on the program in the computer? should I try uninstalling and reinstalling it? Talk later! thanks again, Iovanna

Upvote 0
Reactions: Iovanna
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones