• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying to move a rooted phone to Ting...

romanlynch

Jul 19, 2013
Disclaimer: I know nothing about rooting or flashing roms etc.

I bought an Evo 4g from ebay that has been rooted. When I power up the phone theres an animation that says Avatar. When I hold the volume down button & power up this is what comes up:

***TAMPERED***
***UNLOCKED***
JEWEL PUT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT - 1.19.0000
RADIO - 1.12.11.0809
OpenDSP - v29.1.0.45.0622
eMMC - boot
Aug 9 2012, 15:14:25

I am trying to move this phone to Ting, I have asked on their forums what I need to do since their steps do not work. ie the ## codes did not do anything. They said that I would have to flash back to stock and then re-root. I tried the to follow mikestony un-root guide, I renamed the zip file and rebooted but it does not give me the option to update like in his guide. I selected recovery and I get a Team Win Recovery Project v2.3.1.0 menu. If I select install I see the PC36IMG.ZIP file, select that and it reads:

Updating partition details...
Running boot script...
Finished running boot script.
E :Unable to open zip file.
Error flashing zip '/sdcard2/PC36IMG.zip'
Updating partition details...
Failed

What am I doing wrong?

Also I read about The.Emilio flash, what are peoples thoughts on that? What other flashes that are popular?

yeah you have the evo lte, the code name for the device is jewel as it is stated in the bootloader.

is it this?
7j2o.jpg

Reactions: romanlynch
Upvote 0
If I select install I see the PC36IMG.ZIP file, select that and it reads...

Huge problem.

PC36IMG.zip files are for the Evo 4G.

PJ75IMG.zip files are for the Evo 4G LTE.

Changing partitions or any use of a PC36 file on this phone could result in turning your phone into a paperweight.

Fortunately, it looks like the installer failed and you weren't hosed.

Upvote 0
Here is the latest stock Rom:
http://d-h.st/users/Captain_Throwback/?fld_id=10308#files

The one you have above was from the last ota. Of you have recovery, you can just flash this from there. It has the s-on kernel installer built in, so no need to flash from fastboot. :)

As far as switching to another carrier, I'm not really experienced with that, so I'm not really any help there. :eek:

Upvote 0
Sorry, I didn't mean switching carriers, I was referring to different ROMs and kernels. I just found "What ROM to flash? A guide on ROM Philosophies" so I'll read that. What is the difference between the Jelly Bean, ICS and AOSP kernels, or is there another guide that I can read?

If I may, let's do the basics. :)

Android = Embedded Linux + Dalvik Virtual Machine + Apps that run inside the Dalvik and use Linux services.

Included in Linux is a Linux kernel. All operating systems have a kernel, including whatever you're running on your desktop machine.

In the case of a phone, unlike a desktop, they're customized to fit the hardware.

And just like your desktop, the kernel version goes along with the rest of the operating system version.

Android versions follow a numbering scheme.

That's confusing.

So, they get a letter assigned with each major change.

They started with A. The first released to the public was C. The latest is J.

And in each case, dessert or sweets names are used -

Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean.

Google makes and provides the operating system for free and builds it specifically for their Nexus phones and tablets. So, it's free and open sourced that anyone can get to - any programmer.

They put it online in the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) repository.

HTC started with that and made a Sense version.

Some developers modify that and make customized Sense roms.

Others stick to the AOSP code and build their own versions from there.

Various fans insist that one is better than another but it's a matter of choice.

There are several Jellybean roms available, either Sense or AOSP-based and even though they're all Jellybean, you go with the whole package, including the kernel for that package.

No mixing and matching, no exceptions.

In the old days, the entire operating system was burned into read only memory - rom - on a feature phone.

Today, it's stored in flash memory, same kind as a usb stick, but we call the whole installable payload a rom, just for fun.

And it's going on to flash memory so when we install something, we say we flash it, again, fun words.

Let's get you going from here.

Forget anything you've read elsewhere about special formatting for your sd card. Pretty clear you've read tangled and very out of date information on that.

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0
When you wiped the phone in recovery, you also need to wipe the system and data from recovery as well.

More than likely it was the missing wipes that caused the bootloop.

Also the rom I linked has the S-on kernel installer, maybe it isn't flashing the kernel.

Follow this tutorial for flashing a kernel whilst S-on, it should get the phone to boot:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/606748-how-install-kernels-h-boot-1-15-a.html

Lastly, did you perform a backup before you started?

If not, you should get into the habit of doing that before changing anything from recovery, or root related. :)

Upvote 0
I'm reading the guide but I'm confused on something, probably the terminology. Step 3 says:

Copy the boot.img from the ROM to the same folder as the mini SDK you've downloaded.

What do they mean by mini SDK? The picture of the directories in step 3 looks nothing like the zip file I just extracted. I have:

SDK - tools (root folder)
>> __MACOSX (sub folder)​
>> sdk - tools (sub sub folder)​
>> sdk - tools (sub folder)​

Does that make any sense or should I try and post a picture?

Upvote 0
Step 1 -

Setting up ADB:
1) Download the mini-SDK here and move it to something like C:\Android\platform-tools
http://androidforums.com/attachment...81-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-sdk-tools.zip

So - a few questions -

- Are you running a Mac?

- Did you already have that sdk-tools set up from before or from that step?

~~~~~~~

Side note - we made an effort recently to update those references - the link has the right stuff, but the wrong date, so I'm updating that now in http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/606748-how-install-kernels-h-boot-1-15-a.html

Reactions: romanlynch
Upvote 0
Sorry, just got the notice.

Lets see if I can explain a little better

Step 1
Okay: So that mini SDK you downloaded has a few different files in it. In that guide I suggested to place those files with the folder structure C:\Android\platform-tools. You may have to create those folders. You can place them elsewhere, the important thing is just knowing where they are and how to get to it via command line

Your folder likely wont be as full as mine, as I have the full SDK installed as well as a few other side projects in that image

Step 2 &3
Once you have your ROM downloaded, you unzip it and move the boot.img file to the same folder as the fastboot files from before. So both the boot.img and fastboot.exe would be in C:\Android\platform-tools

Upvote 0
Ok I have the files in the right spot, turned the phone on holding the vol down and am on that menu screen, did the fastboot flash boot boot.img and the command prompt says <waiting for device> do I just reboot the phone from here?

is the phone in fastboot(you might need to select fastboot when you are in the bootloader)? it needs to be in fastboot in order to fastboot command the file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones