1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Trying to move apps to new phone, help?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by paynekiller, Nov 17, 2011.

1. paynekiller

paynekiller Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    I'm trying to use Titanium backup to move the apps from my old phone to a new one, but it just isn't happening. I thought I could just run a batch backup of my apps, put the SD card into the new phone and restore, but every time I do that it says 0 apps to restore on the new phone. I've tried multiple backups, and multiple phones to be sure too.

What am I doing wrong? Or is Titanium Backup not what i should be using? I thought, well I kept hearing Titanium Backup is what you should use if you want to transfer all your apps plus data like game saves etc.

Advertisement

2. Rovers

None

Nov 15, 2011
    Goto the Market, login with your 'old' ID and password, goto My Apps. See the list of apps that are registered to that, your 'old' account, and reinstall.

3. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    What phone were you using and what is the new phone because it's recommended not to restore any data from rom to rom let alone phone to phone?

You may be able to restore application data, like angry birds data but I'm not sure

4. paynekiller

paynekiller Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Moving from a EVO 4G to an Epic Touch, also tried moving from a Samsung Captivate to Moto Atrix but restore still shows 0 apps.
    I logged in with my same google account on both phones, that would only matter for redownloading paid apps though I'm sure.

What I want to do is backup all my downloaded apps to the SD card and just restore them to the new phone, with a Market link, to avoid having to redownload them all again. I've done a couple google searches and it hasn't helped with what I am seeing when I try to do what they say. I have tried App List Backup and this other one to redownload everything but I am trying to avoid downloading again app list backup won't restore the market link so I can get updates. So Titanium Backup won't help for moving user apps to a new phone then?

By the way, those are the apps that gave me the idea in the first place, from the comments. A lot of people saying "this blows it doesn't do this or that like Titanium Backup" and so on.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Titanium Backup is really a root tool - no one's asked, but I'll assume you're rooted on all of these phones?

In any case, for just quickly moving just the apps, Astro File Manager has an app/backup/restore - it's free.

For more comprehensive non-root backups, try MyBackup Pro.

6. woodsb123

woodsb123 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 26, 2010
    As mentioned before, Titanium Backup is only for rooted phones, so if neither of your phones aren't rooted, it won't work. I'm currently using an app called - "appinstaller". It works perfectly for backing up all of your free, downloaded apps(doesn't work for paid apps). It stores all of the installation .apk files to your sd card and when you need to reinstall your free apps, you just need to reinstall this app first so that you can open it in order to reinstall all other free apps. You still must redownload your paid apps from the "My Apps" list in the Market. Hope this helps.

7. paynekiller

paynekiller Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Okay well after some fiddling around I got it to happen for Astro, but the apps won't show in the Android Market though. I'll just have to redownload the ones I care about recieving updates with, there's App List Backup for that.
    And ya my phones are all rooted, I don't think I'd have been able to do backups in the first place if they weren't.

Thanks for the replies though, I suppose Titanium Backup wasn't meant for moving phone to phone, at least the free one.

8. vTizzle

vTizzle Newbie
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    You might be able to not download ay all. If you have a file manager you should see the apk files somewhere I forgot. But when you click on the files it should just start installing without the need to download. At least if you have miui.

9. madmonk

madmonk Member
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    I used Astro. Bypass Market completely. Very straightforward, good UI. Old phone backup to SD, new phone just restore them off the SD.

On non rooted phones.