1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Trying to port custom roms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skfl, Jan 22, 2020.

1. skfl

skfl Newbie

Hi guys, we got true working recovery now. I try to port some roms as expiriments of learning custom roms building when I am free. To start with, I found that we can port from devices that share similar specs. Examples are: Sony Xperia V (Tsubasa), Moto Droid Razr M (xt905,xt925), Lg Optimus Vu2 and Optimus F7 (fx1s) and more.

Advertisement

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  2. skfl

skfl Newbie

#2 skfl, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  3. skfl

skfl Newbie

Here are what I came up with. CM10 is quite light and similar to aosp

Attached Files:

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wish i knew what i was reading though.......lol

just curious why cm10? have you tried their lineage os yet?

MrJavi likes this.
  5. skfl

skfl Newbie

Thx. Becaz cm10 is jb-based that the device runs. So that the android ver of my base and port rom is the same. This'd make porting easier

6. skfl

skfl Newbie

No, I havn't yet tried lineage os. Afa I know Xperia V and Razr M got lineage and other os like rr. It would be difficult to port as lineage os is android 7.x. We need to build a new kernel from scratch

7. skfl

skfl Newbie

The phone seems to run faster on cm10 than stock rom lol. I found that it is not fully working. Camera, wifi & nfc do not work though

#7 skfl, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM
  8. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

I had an Galaxy S3 and a Note 3 on CM and both ran much faster than stock. Bluetooth issues are common occurrences with cm and LineageOs, although some less than others.

9. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Yes, I also agree

10. LewisH99

LewisH99 Newbie

• Extract the ROM you need to port and you will have these main things:
      META-INF
      System
      boot.img.
    • If you have them then you are ready for the next step.
    • Open /system folder of stock and rom to port.

11. skfl

skfl Newbie

Actually I tried to use camera libs (libchromatix, camera.msm8960 at /lib/hw) from my base stock rom at cm10 in order to get camera working, however it didn't help

12. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Good to know but I think CM roms
    I had a similar issue with flashing a N7 camra mod to my N4. I was experimenting with what I thought might be compatible with my device. The first few times I flashed the mod the stock camera would FC. I couldn't get it to work. At one point, I needed to take a picture and just downloaded a user app. I have no idea why the user app worked but yet my system camera didn't. Makes no sense but there it was.
    On another occasion , I accidentally deleted syatem camera app. Downloading a usrr cera app , FC's.

13. skfl

skfl Newbie

I think the system apps mod usually fc caz they are designed to be used in a particular os (like each oems hv a camera app and so on)

MrJavi likes this.
  14. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

I agree

15. skfl

skfl Newbie

Hi, I checked the build.prop of cm10 and it said the wifi chip vendor is broadcom. But that in my stock jb is qcom, the model is wcnss. It is normal to hv different wlan chip in the same soc?

16. skfl

skfl Newbie

And uptil now wifi, nfc & cam not working after changing /system/lib. Also, the sys time will reset to 1970 jan even I enabled time service in build.prop (persist.timed.enable=true)

17. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Im not sure

18. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Did youvsetbthe proper permissions (lib)?

Attached Files:

19. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Just a thought but changing you buildprop. to mimic the device that cm was intended for might be worth a try. I wouldn't get my hopes up but you never know.

20. skfl

skfl Newbie

Yes, I used the updater script from the port rom. I hv tried to change wifi section of my cm build.prop but with no luck

21. skfl

skfl Newbie

Hi, after all, I noticed the wifi unusable problem is due to wpa-supplicant has not initialized shown in the testing menu. (dial *#*#4636#*#* in phone) Any ideas?

#21 skfl, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  22. skfl

skfl Newbie

Btw, are your samsung phones use snapdragon soc?

MrJavi likes this.
  23. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Yes, Im having similar issues running a Marshmallow bootloader and modem with a lollipop custom rom. No wifi, no hot spot and the camera is extremely blurred.
    I
    Yes at least mine does, however I'm not sure if that applies to all Samsung snapdragons, especially when it comes to new models.

24. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Some older U.S. Samsungs model have an Exynos chipset, for instance. The Note 5 and the S6. The newer models are all snapdragon and come with locked Bootliloaders. There exception but I am not aware of.

25. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

I had the same issues with Wifi on LP with a MM bootloader and modem. I found some information on this with mixed results. None of which were specific to my device.
    I also had an idea of returning to a stock rooted rom and coping all the wifi related folders and porting them but a few were in my EFS partition and fear the possibility of a DM-verity and/or DRK error.

skfl likes this.