1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Trying to pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Squirrel, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Squirrel

Squirrel Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I really am trying to order my Eris today. I have been waiting for the Passion, though I am not even sure I would choose it over the Eris. Also considered the Moto many times, but just can't get over how large it feels in my pocket (also concerned I am too rough on things to have a sliding mechanism on my phone). As Eris owners, am I crazy not to wait it out another 4 weeks or so to see if the Passion's speed and screen resolution are worth an extra $100+?? By the way, I am not worried about the battery.

Advertisement

2. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    Verizon has a 30 day return / exchange for a different phone.

I think waiting for cutting edge vaporware is silly, but that's just me.

3. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    +1 to waiting for vaporware.

4. Squirrel

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Seems silly, but I guess I just needed to hear that it was ok. I generally agree with what you guys say about waiting for vaporware; I have just been researching this far too much. I just ordered the Eris. Looking forward to playing with it come Monday.

5. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Campus Safety Officer
    Earlville, NY
    I guess it would only seem silly if you were using a phone that didn't work well. Otherwise if you have the patience to wait go for it. Like someone else posted you do have a "30 day return/exchange period" and if the Passion comes out during that time you can do the exchange if not you have had this time while waiting to enjoy a really nice phone!! :)

6. ggangi

ggangi Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Enjoy it I LOVE Mine!

7. ChicoFox

ChicoFox Active Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Witch City
    When you fall in love with your Eris then you will have your "passion" sooner :D

8. Barren

Barren Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Techie
    I had been suffering a year and a half with a crappy personal celly (krazr) after switching jobs and losing my windows mobile device... new employer didn't think it was necessary for me to have a data device... anyways, I was hoping that the iPhone would leave ATT as I didn't want to be part of that network... well, I got sick of waiting once a viable alternative was released. I never heard of the Eris until a buddy was saying he thinks it might be better than the moto droid. I took a look at both. A co-worker bought a droid on day 1... Cool device but way too big and heavy.. feels clunky to me and the physical keyboard sucks.

Anyways, I went and played with an Eris and after ten minutes, was sold. I didn't buy it at the store because they were giving me crap about early renewal or some BS.. As an Alltel customer, I was tempted to wait till my contract expired and move to ATT... When I called Verizon, I didn't even have to mention that I was thinking of leaving, I said I wanted an Eris and they waived the early renewal fee and dropped my phone in the mail that day.

I've had my Eris now... 2 or 3 weeks... I lost count. It does exactly what I want and more. My main focus was: exchange sync, good quality phone, good browser, fast network, social networking, and cool apps to keep me happy.

It's exactly what I wanted. I haven't messed with a lot of the functions on it... music playing, etc. I have zunes and ipods for that function.

I did, however, snag the robot "droid" bootup sound from a buddy though... gotta have that! HTC finally built a solid smartphone that delivers! My girl has a touch pro.. and it's garbage. I liked my Titan, but the tilt was a crappy replacement for that.

Anyways, get an Eris, they rule! The trackball is a nice bonus feature too!

9. Doheny

Doheny Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Fire Fighter
    Orange County, CA
    Yeah...I agree. If you keep waiting for your dream phone, you'll be waiting forever.

I'm enjoying my Eris.

10. Squirrel

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampshire
    My Eris just arrived, thanks for the vote of confidence everyone.

11. ryontherun

ryontherun Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Is the touchscreen like the iPhone or storm. I don't want to have to press the screen like the storm. Thanks for your help

12. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    The Storm was the one that would click right? This one doesnt click.

13. Squirrel

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Eris has a capacitive screen as does the Iphone. I have used both (Eris and Iphone) and they work similarly. My dad has the storm and you need not worry.

14. ryontherun

ryontherun Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Yeah, I messed with a storm2 over the weekend and you had to "push" the screen instead of just a "tap" or a "touch" like the iPhone. My store doesn't have one that is available to play with so I just wondered. And does anyone know if it has the pinch type zoom? I know someone is thinking "just get an iPhone" but I'm on verizon so just curious. I do want one though and will get if it is a touch phone.

15. ryontherun

ryontherun Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Thanks a lot squirrel. I'm off to get it.

16. Squirrel

Dec 7, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It does have pinch to zoom in the browser. Good luck; I think you'll love the phone.

17. ryontherun

ryontherun Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Got it and on it now. Wow I really like it. So what's the diff between 1.5 and 2.
    0?

18. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    Pinch zoom works in many other locations as well. Mail, pictures, etc.