• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying to restore to stock

strangeLady

Aug 7, 2012
Hey so I'm trying to restore to stock unrooted. I have an HTC Evo V 4G and it's s-on. I may have tried a couple things that didn't work. I can't get out of the bootloader and into recovery, phone won't boot either. I've tried the RUU.exe here: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3...527-rom-update-utility-ruu-all-downloads.html but it didn't work. It gives error 140 (bootloader version error).

Screen currently says
*** RELOCKED ***
*** Security Warning ***
Shooter XC Ship S-On RL
Hboot - 1.57.000
Radio - 1.09.00.0706
Open ADSP - v.02.6.0.2226.00.0217
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012, 17:39:22

I'm assuming this is a soft brick? Is there any way out of it? I'm trying to get the phone set up to give to someone else, there's nothing personal on there I'm concerned about, I just want to get it back to stock.

Hey so I'm trying to restore to stock unrooted. I have an HTC Evo V 4G and it's s-on. I may have tried a couple things that didn't work. I can't get out of the bootloader and into recovery, phone won't boot either. I've tried the RUU.exe here: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3...527-rom-update-utility-ruu-all-downloads.html but it didn't work. It gives error 140 (bootloader version error).

Screen currently says
*** RELOCKED ***
*** Security Warning ***
Shooter XC Ship S-On RL
Hboot - 1.57.000
Radio - 1.09.00.0706
Open ADSP - v.02.6.0.2226.00.0217
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012, 17:39:22

I'm assuming this is a soft brick? Is there any way out of it? I'm trying to get the phone set up to give to someone else, there's nothing personal on there I'm concerned about, I just want to get it back to stock.

Also if I'm wrong and this is a hard brick, or it's just basically gonna take me hours and hours to fix this, just tell me and I'll tell my friend it's a no-go. I'd rather not waste a lot of time trying to fix it.

Upvote 0
Also if I'm wrong and this is a hard brick, or it's just basically gonna take me hours and hours to fix this, just tell me and I'll tell my friend it's a no-go. I'd rather not waste a lot of time trying to fix it.

I've moved this into the Evo V 4G forum so you can get the proper support. :thumbup:

Sorry, I didn't realize I was in the wrong place -__- Thanks

Upvote 0
I'M A DUMB!

Well I didn't realize the bootloader needed to be unlocked to get anything that I was trying to work. I read in a couple places that the bootloader needed to be locked to use the RUU but I guess that's for s-off only?

So I guess I'm okay now? Just gotta find the stock Virgin Mobile ROM .zip to flash. I should be able to Google that.

Upvote 0
I'M A DUMB!

Well I didn't realize the bootloader needed to be unlocked to get anything that I was trying to work. I read in a couple places that the bootloader needed to be locked to use the RUU but I guess that's for s-off only?

Really? That's weird, things must've changed since I last had to do this on my old evo 3d before ics was officially released on the 1.50 hboot.

Back then it had to be relocked to run any RUU.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones