• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

trying to Root but issue....

You sure you installed the latest Gapps, March 25 release, if still an issue, try going back into recovery, and clear, cache, Davlik and format cache

FYI if you want a Sense weather clock, try Fancy widget, very similar

Getting everything set up again, the only issue that I'm running into is that Gmail keeps force closing... I rebooted and checked the market for updates and nada tostada.

Upvote 0
Wait until you make a phone call and see no lag, that is worth the price of admission, there are many replacement for the sense apps you loose

rb- a reinstall took care of it
DonB- I was just about to ask! That's a pretty good replacement, I do miss Sense a little bit, but GB is SMOKIN' fast so far! I love the lack of lag...
If anyone else is reading this and pondering rootin/flashing DO IT! It is dead simple and it makes your phone AWESOME

Upvote 0
OK - so, I followed everything on the instructions that I read in several threads & now my phone us stuck on a black screen with an animated silver android logo.

it keeps moving, so maybe that's a good sign?

It will take a bit to boot up the first time you flash a new rom be patient if starts to reboot over and over then you will need to reflash.

Upvote 0
Hey all,
This thread is awesome. It inspired me to take the plunge and root my wife's Hero.

I went through the steps of downloading Z4Root to the download folder on the SD card, installed it on the hero, clicked on permanent root and it got stuck at the reboot screen. I pulled the battery after 4-5 minutes and booted up. I don't think it worked as I don't see any indications that it did. I expected to see something in the app tray. Did I miss something or not put Z4Root in the right folder?

2.1-update 1
Baseband:2.42.02.10.29
Build: 2.32.651.2 CL282911 release-keys

Can any one help? It would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hey all,
This thread is awesome. It inspired me to take the plunge and root my wife's Hero.

I went through the steps of downloading Z4Root to the download folder on the SD card, installed it on the hero, clicked on permanent root and it got stuck at the reboot screen. I pulled the battery after 4-5 minutes and booted up. I don't think it worked as I don't see any indications that it did. I expected to see something in the app tray. Did I miss something or not put Z4Root in the right folder?

2.1-update 1
Baseband:2.42.02.10.29
Build: 2.32.651.2 CL282911 release-keys

Can any one help? It would be much appreciated.

What you are looking for in the app drawer is the super user app. It looks like a skull and cross bones. If its not there then simply run z4root again just like the first time and repeat until you have super user in your app drawer.

Reactions: Engnrguy7
Upvote 0
Thanks! I just saw that beautiful skull and crossbones and clicked on it. It shows z4root with a pretty green dot next too it.

I think when I downloaded the .apk it got corrupted or something. I deleted it all and downloaded again. When it ran it asked me if I wanted to allow superuser. You guys are the best!

Now to figure out how to remove all the bloatware and other fun things to make her phone usable again. (and get to stop complaining about her phone)

Now...to flash the ROM or not too flash, that is the question...

Upvote 0
Thanks! I just saw that beautiful skull and crossbones and clicked on it. It shows z4root with a pretty green dot next too it.

I think when I downloaded the .apk it got corrupted or something. I deleted it all and downloaded again. When it ran it asked me if I wanted to allow superuser. You guys are the best!

Now to figure out how to remove all the bloatware and other fun things to make her phone usable again. (and get to stop complaining about her phone)

Now...to flash the ROM or not too flash, that is the question...

If you want to just remove bloat use titanium backup to do so just be careful not to delete anything your not sure about.

But if you really want to speed it up you are going to want to flash a rom the gb roms are very smooth compared to a sense rom.

Reactions: Engnrguy7
Upvote 0
Thanks for all of your help, RB31202. I hope your getting paid for all the help I have seen you post in Android Forums.

I may do just that, I am not sure I want to venture into that yet. I am at least hoping that removing the bloatware speed sit up slightly and makes it usable enough.

Haha! No, we do not get paid. :D

We help because we love the Android platform. So, to spread the love, we help others that need it! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones