• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying to Root Eris with unrEVOked 3.21 on Mac. Help

Hey Everyone,
Looking for a little help. I've finally gotten the time and guts to root my Eris but I seem to be hitting a wall. I'm using my Mac and unrEVOked version 3.21 since the 3.3 does not work on here as I have noticed and researched about online a little. Everything seems to be working fine when I connect it and it begins the process, but once it says "waiting for reboot", it does nothing.

Anyone run into this before or know what could be wrong with it? I'm at a wall.

Final Thought: Is having low phone storage space a problem?

Hey Everyone,
Looking for a little help. I've finally gotten the time and guts to root my Eris but I seem to be hitting a wall. I'm using my Mac and unrEVOked version 3.21 since the 3.3 does not work on here as I have noticed and researched about online a little. Everything seems to be working fine when I connect it and it begins the process, but once it says "waiting for reboot", it does nothing.

Anyone run into this before or know what could be wrong with it? I'm at a wall.

Final Thought: Is having low phone storage space a problem?

DJKing, first off, welcome to the AndroidForums!

Second, you might want to hold-off using unrEVOked or Z4root. They might get you root, but its not the "traditional" method for rooting the Eris.

These one-shot rooters (no disrespect intended, I've used Z4root on my Droid X and love it) are fine if all you are looking for is to be able to run root-only apps (like TiBu, Root Explorer, drocap2, etc.), but they won't help you install a custom recovery which will allow you to flash a custom ROM or other update.zip type of files.

Typically, to gain root for the Eris, we use one of the following two methods:

1. http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html

2. http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/139178-universal-1-click-eris-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html

The first method above ("Universal") allows you to do everything from your phone without needing an accompanying PC. It also has a ton of information, pictures, and was written by the most widely-regarded Eris user out there (erisuser1). Even if you don't use or choose this method, you should read through and understand the first several posts, since you'll pretty-much learn everything you need to know.

The second method uses an app from the Market to install a custom recovery on your phone and provides a rootme.zip file for you to flash (that installs the su program and the Superuser whitelist app) after you've installed the custom recovery. This method is also very successful, but is much less documented and relies on the user already being somewhat knowledgeable.

Anyway, reply back with some more information before I provide you with further instructions.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Please do not use unrevoked - so many people have ended up with bricked erises that it should definitely be avoided on the Eris.

Instead, use one of these two methods. Neither require a PC (though one can be used to download the files required and copy them over to the Eris, of course.)

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html
http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html

(If you are going to use 1-click and are interested in a custom ROM, read through the first four posts of the Universal Dummies method - not that you are a dummy, of course - for an illustrated guide to installing a custom ROM. The Dummies guide is far better documented.)

[edit: Ah, posting the same time as Scary Alien again. But, he's absolutely right. Though he should be scaring you more about using unrevoked. It's a great method for other phones, but IT SHOULD NOT BE USED ON THE ERIS.]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones