• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to unlock a sprint note 4 for cricket

Superjenn529

Lurker
Nov 30, 2016
I'm not super technical, but my husband is. I ordered cricket service and put the imei number in, and it said that my phone was compatible. From what I understand, when I put the cricket sim card in, my phone should prompt me for an unlock code (which I have gotten from sprint) and then I should be able to use it. After I got my sim card, there was nothing on my phone prompting me for the unlock. My husband and I spent four hours searching the internet, and probably tried every # number we found. The only thing that successfully took us anywhere was ##3283## and there was really nothing to do from there. My husband tried changing all the APN (?) Settings. I REALLY would like to be able to use this phone but were at a loss now. I haven't really found any information online about this from 2016... All the post were from 2014-2015. I even tried an unlocking service, but the two websites didn't have my phone listed.

I'm confused. Sprint uses CDMA and Cricket runs GSM. Cricket used to run CDMA but changed from CDMA to GSM. I believe that Cricket ran both CDMA (over the Sprint network) and GSM (over the AT&T network) simultaneously for more than a year, ending just about a year ago. Now, it is GSM only. How is it possible for you to put a SIM card into a Sprint phone? Did you perhaps put it into a memory card slot?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I'm confused. Sprint uses CDMA and Cricket runs GSM. Cricket used to run CDMA but changed from CDMA to GSM. I believe that Cricket ran both CDMA (over the Sprint network) and GSM (over the AT&T network) simultaneously for more than a year, ending just about a year ago. Now, it is GSM only. How is it possible for you to put a SIM card into a Sprint phone? Did you perhaps put it into a memory card slot?

AFAIK a CDMA version Note 4 does accept a SIM, as 4G LTE requires it. Older CDMA only devices didn't.

As for unlocking a Note 4, good luck, I've never had to deal with carrier locked phones. But if it's Sprint and what I've read on AF, it's the Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) that has to be released, and why the APN is fixed to Sprint only. There's probably also some nasty Sprint proxy stuff to deal with as well, otherwise it won't have Internet even on WiFi, without a Sprint contract associated with it. We've had posts about that before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not super technical, but my husband is. I ordered cricket service and put the imei number in, and it said that my phone was compatible. From what I understand, when I put the cricket sim card in, my phone should prompt me for an unlock code (which I have gotten from sprint) and then I should be able to use it. After I got my sim card, there was nothing on my phone prompting me for the unlock. My husband and I spent four hours searching the internet, and probably tried every # number we found. The only thing that successfully took us anywhere was ##3283## and there was really nothing to do from there. My husband tried changing all the APN (?) Settings. I REALLY would like to be able to use this phone but were at a loss now. I haven't really found any information online about this from 2016... All the post were from 2014-2015. I even tried an unlocking service, but the two websites didn't have my phone listed.

In most cases your cellphone provider has a 4 mouth device activation usage period before the device can be legally unlocked by that provider. So by that being said, If you activated your device in that time span it will be unlocked within a four month period from activation date. There should be a Unlock apps in your device. Just tick that and read the information that's given.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones