• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to update my phone. Tried few different routes. Need suggestions

jackroo

Android Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2012
I have an S5 running on 4.4.4 that was originally on AT&T but it unlocked now. I use Metro PCS. Anyways I'm trying to update it. I know I can't go about trying an OTA update so I went to Kies to update. Kies told me to download Switch so I downloaded the latest version and it didn't work either. I tried to plug it and unplug it etc a few times with no luck. My question is this:

I have access to an AT&T Sim. If I were to put that it my phone could I possibly update the phone without risking relocking the phone? Are there any other possible ways to upgrade my phone without rooting? Thanks guys. I've been Googling around and thought I'd stop here to ask.

Hi guys. I ended up doing further research and founder that Best Buy has Samsung Experience. I went there an hour ago and they updated me to 5.1.1 free of charge ☺ so far I'm liking everything about Lollipop! Battery seems fine, I dig the colors and animations too! Have a great week!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones