• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying to update to nook color 1.4

runkle55

Lurker
Dec 12, 2011
I have been running cynangenmod 7.1 on an sd card for a couple months with my nook color. I run it from the sd card so I can take it out and go to the stock os when I want to. The new stock os (1.4) came out tonight and I downloaded it to my computer to load on my NC. I took the cm 7.1 sd card out of the nook. Every time I have tried to load the new os on the nook I get the droid robot, triangle and exclamation point a few seconds after the update starts to install. When I then push the power button the clockworkmod recovery screen shows up with its various options. Below the options are the update steps that started. They stop with the message: " E: failed to verify whole-file signature" and below that: "E: signature verification failed" and below that "Installation failed". By running CM 7.1 from my sd card, I was under the impression that when I took it out the stock os would work as did in the factory. It seems to me clockworkmod recovery has been found its way into the stock os. I have done several factory resets but always end up back at the same place; unable to install the new update with CWM showing up. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Actually, I never asked this, but what happens if you just update a rooted 1.1 to 1.4?

You either wind up with nonrooted 1.4 or you wind up unable to install the update. The BN updates require a stock /boot partition; many rooted devices have, on purpose or not, a CWR modified /boot partition instead, which won't let you do the update.

1.4.1 is not usefully rootable just now, by most folks' lights - no android market and BN downloading is mucked up.

Superuser works and so does ADB, so if that's what you want, you can set it up, but probably best to hold off rooting it for now.

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0
You either wind up with nonrooted 1.4 or you wind up unable to install the update. The BN updates require a stock /boot partition; many rooted devices have, on purpose or not, a CWR modified /boot partition instead, which won't let you do the update.

1.4.1 is not usefully rootable just now, by most folks' lights - no android market and BN downloading is mucked up.

Superuser works and so does ADB, so if that's what you want, you can set it up, but probably best to hold off rooting it for now.

Actually, the only thing missing for me is the ability to watch videos (youtube, web based). Other then that I'm happy with my rooted 1.1 system. But I assume I need to go to 1.2 or above to get that capability. I just can't find a simple answer on how to do that.

Upvote 0
What did you do immediately after the 8 failed boots? I completed the 8 failed boots, then powered back on. This took me to the CM7 recovery screen. Should I have done the 8 failed boots, then just let the NC do it's thing?

Never mind. I just read - "This factory restore procedure is for people who are using the stock Nook Color recovery and have not installed Clockworkmod Recovery or any other custom recovery utility." This doesn't help the person who originally started this thread or myself. Does anyone have a solution for removing the Clockworkmod Recovery completely?

Upvote 0
If you're rooted and want to update, you should be able to return to stock and just use the version w/o cwm in the file name. That version will remove cwm and allow future updates (like to 1.4.1).

B&N v.1.2 is the lowest version that supports flash.

RE: 8 failed boots, my assumption is the first 8 fail and the 9th time you let it boot, but it's never worked for me the 3 times or so I tried it.

Upvote 0
Never mind. I just read - "This factory restore procedure is for people who are using the stock Nook Color recovery and have not installed Clockworkmod Recovery or any other custom recovery utility." This doesn't help the person who originally started this thread or myself. Does anyone have a solution for removing the Clockworkmod Recovery completely?

I'm still trying to pick up on all this. So is the Clockworkmod Recovery part of something that's put on the nook when you do the root? I ran both the MN files on my nook, was never able to boot it back up, and then the failed boots method worked for me.

Something tells me I must have been doing something wrong when I tried to root the first time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones