• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help TTS Gmail reader

pervier

Lurker
Nov 4, 2009
I've searched through the threads and post and haven't been able to find any answer so I'll through this out as a new question.

My Moto Droid has TTS capability and I've installed a clipboard reader that I can copy and paste into to have read aloud back to me but I'm looking for a way to have emails read back. I've linked my pop email accounts to the GMail account so all my emails show up on the Droid and I get notifications when new ones come in but the GMail app on the Droid doesn't have a function for copying the text so I can't even go the awkward route of copy & paste to the TTS clipboard reader.

Does anyone know of an app or way to use TTS to read GMail messages???

Thanks,

rod

Hi,
I released a free android app (handsfree.ly) and a paid $1.99 version (GMail handsfree.ly) that essentially do what you are asking. My tech stack focuses on the speech recognition part (names anyone..Goog chokes on my name eg) and the TTS part. I built the GMail reader app to showcase this tech stack.

You can:
-Listen to all your unread emails (just subject,sender,date)
-Listen to body, Reply, Compose, Pay (via PayPal)

It is very very secure because you never hand out your gmail password to handsfree.ly (you authorize via google and can revoke this auth anytime you wish). Just setup your a/c at handsfree.ly (thats the url btw), download the app and happy listening....

-Sanjay

Reactions: mashruf
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones