• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TTY Mode change to use mic + headphone jack

Nor*Cal

Mar 22, 2011
Bay Area
There has been lots of discussion about the internal mic not working when using the Thunderbolts headphone jack. At one point HTC stated that the internal mic turns off when the headphone jack is used and that no setting would change this.

Well, I read a post on this forum a while back that changing the TTY mode would turn the mic on when a headphone jack is plugged in. Here's the change.

Go to: Settings -> Call -> TTY Mode and change it to TTY VCO

Today, I suggested to member Bonerdroid to try this as he had his phone plugged into his stereo and wanted to listen to the call through his stereo but talk through the bolts internal mic. He changed this setting and confirmed it worked.

I know many people have complained about this issue so I thought I would post the solution under the "Tips" prefix.

Thanks for the confirmation Bonerdroid and thanks to the OP who first posted this solution on this site. I would go back and find his user name but do not recall what thread he posted it in.

There has been lots of discussion about the internal mic not working when using the Thunderbolts headphone jack. At one point HTC stated that the internal mic turns off when the headphone jack is used and that no setting would change this.

Well, I read a post on this forum a while back that changing the TTY mode would turn the mic on when a headphone jack is plugged in. Here's the change.

Go to: Settings -> Call -> TTY Mode and change it to TTY VCO

Today, I suggested to member Bonerdroid to try this as he had his phone plugged into his stereo and wanted to listen to the call through his stereo but talk through the bolts internal mic. He changed this setting and confirmed it worked.

I know many people have complained about this issue so I thought I would post the solution under the "Tips" prefix.

Thanks for the confirmation Bonerdroid and thanks to the OP who first posted this solution on this site. I would go back and find his user name but do not recall what thread he posted it in.

I just got a new GS5 that had the same issue right out of the box. I just referred to your solution a second time. Three years later, thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones