• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root TU Android Update 2.3.6

Well I used Odin to restore it back to stock, then updated it manually. Almost had a heart attack cause it hung at 20% for about 2 minutes!

For anyone wanting to do this update manually, its pretty easy.

Only do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for bricking your phone!

1. Download Odin ***Note: you may need to rename the odin file to .exe cuz the host site tends to rename it with a .bin***

2. Download these 4 files:

Transform Ultra Odin OPS
Stock Recovery
Stock Kernel
Stock System

3. Once downloaded, run Odin and then put your phone in "download mode" by turning off your phone, waiting 30 seconds for it to completely shut down, and then by pressing and holding the camera button + volume down + power until it restarts into download mode. Press volume up to continue. Connect your phone to your computer.

***It should automatically update the drivers for your phone, if not you will need to manually locate the drivers online and install them. My computer did this for me automatically***

4. Once your phone is connected, and Odin is up and running you should see in the upper left side of Odin that it says "COM: #" and that's how you know it's connected. If that's not there, you didn't install the drivers properly.

5. Under the COM ports section, make sure that you have checked "One Package" "Reboot" & "Protect OPS" and nothing else and "Debug only" in UNCHECKED!

6. Then click "OPS" and select the Transform Ultra Odin OPS file you downloaded

7. Then click "One Package" on the bottom of the window and select one of the other 3 files you downloaded (recovery, kernel, or system). *Note: the system file is in a zip file, just unzip it and use the file inside for the system file*

8. Once it has finished uploading a file, it will reboot. Just power down your phone. Close out Odin and reopen it for each file you flash if it doesn't say "PASSED" above the COM Port you are using after you power down your phone.

9. Repeat steps 3-8 to reflash the recovery, kernel, and system images to your phone.
So, this has been tested on many phones and works?

I've done sorta the same thing for my prevail but this has different steps to it... I'm trying to fix my girlfriend's phone so I want to make sure it's ok. She doesn't care about rooting so I'm not worried about it.

Upvote 0
So, this has been tested on many phones and works?

I've done sorta the same thing for my prevail but this has different steps to it... I'm trying to fix my girlfriend's phone so I want to make sure it's ok. She doesn't care about rooting so I'm not worried about it.
just wait for the new update i think thats what interdpth is doing because there is no since in cracking this one just to be broken in a few weeks

Edit:miss read your post, i would just odin it back it works, here is the thread http://androidforums.com/transform-...ing-return-stock-samsung-transform-ultra.html and id stay at 2.3.4 alot of people are having radio gps and wifi issues in the new update so id wait for the newer update to fix that to come out

Upvote 0
Just a heads up.....

A Samsung tech called me back about the issue. He wanted to know more about what is going on with it. I told him everything I did and that I had to reflash it back to 2.3.4 to get the wifi working. I told him about the static IP setting fixed this issue for some people and that some people are also experiencing problems with GPS with the update. He told me to hang tough and they are working on a fix to the problem and that once they fix the problem, they will be pushing another update to the phones. If you updated to 2.3.6, use my instructions to reflash 2.3.4 back to your phone and wait until the new update is pushed to the phones. I am no longer getting notifications about the update on my phone for the past few days so when the new one gets pushed to the phone, I will try it out and let you guys know if it's been fixed or not. I received the first update around 2am on 5/9 when it was released so I believe I will also be one of the first ones to get it again. I'll let you guys know as soon as I have a working version of 2.3.6!
Ok since panaphobic heard back from a tech should i follow his steps to fix my wifi or just wait till they push the next update and see if they fixed it, cuz im clueless when it comes to this kinda of stuff :/ also just today i restored my phone to factory settings cuz thats what i was suggested to do now when i try and reinstall my apps i get an error tellin me it wont download with (927) behind the message, any idea what that means and why im gettin that damn error??

Upvote 0
Well I used Odin to restore it back to stock, then updated it manually. Almost had a heart attack cause it hung at 20% for about 2 minutes!

For anyone wanting to do this update manually, its pretty easy.

Only do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for bricking your phone!

1. Download Odin ***Note: you may need to rename the odin file to .exe cuz the host site tends to rename it with a .bin***

2. Download these 4 files:

Transform Ultra Odin OPS
Stock Recovery
Stock Kernel
Stock System

3. Once downloaded, run Odin and then put your phone in "download mode" by turning off your phone, waiting 30 seconds for it to completely shut down, and then by pressing and holding the camera button + volume down + power until it restarts into download mode. Press volume up to continue. Connect your phone to your computer.

***It should automatically update the drivers for your phone, if not you will need to manually locate the drivers online and install them. My computer did this for me automatically***

4. Once your phone is connected, and Odin is up and running you should see in the upper left side of Odin that it says "COM: #" and that's how you know it's connected. If that's not there, you didn't install the drivers properly.

5. Under the COM ports section, make sure that you have checked "One Package" "Reboot" & "Protect OPS" and nothing else and "Debug only" in UNCHECKED!

6. Then click "OPS" and select the Transform Ultra Odin OPS file you downloaded

7. Then click "One Package" on the bottom of the window and select one of the other 3 files you downloaded (recovery, kernel, or system). *Note: the system file is in a zip file, just unzip it and use the file inside for the system file*

8. Once it has finished uploading a file, it will reboot. Just power down your phone. Close out Odin and reopen it for each file you flash if it doesn't say "PASSED" above the COM Port you are using after you power down your phone.

9. Repeat steps 3-8 to reflash the recovery, kernel, and system images to your phone.

***You will now be back to stock version 2.3.4***

10. Once these have been done, download the original file in the first post by interdpth.

11. Rename the file to "update.zip" and place it on the root folder on your sd card (root meaning the base location on your sd card "sdcard/update.zip")

12. Power down your phone, wait 30 seconds, reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding volume down + power and then releasing only the power button once it says "Samsung" on the screen. Connect your phone to your wall charger!

13. Using the volume up/down keys, highlight "apply update from /sdcard"

14. Press the power button to select it.

15. Allow the phone to update, it might hang at 20% for a while and then when it's done, it will reboot itself!

Once it reboots, let it sit for another minute and a pop up will appear saying "finalizing update" and then it will pop up saying "update complete" and you will be running 2.3.6 on your Transform Ultra!

You will notice some slight changes like the "Boost Zone" app and different live wallpapers, along the phone and ID buttons changing color. The touch screen works MUCH better and there are no more CIQ's on the phone.

Anyways, I hope this helps you all who don't want to wait for interdpth to get it working with root and CWM, although he should have it up and running tomorrow evening. I know a lot of you are impatient, like me.

Your guide was Great. It worked like a charm. Thank you.

I ran into a little hiccup, I was so eager to get my phone back to 2.3.4, that I didn't follow the post well enough to realize that this is for a Boost Mobile phone and not Sprint. :thinking:

So, ya, now I have a Boost phone instead of Sprint. Any chance you could tell me which file dictates who the carrier is? And even more important, do you have a Sprint version of that file or know where I could get one? :eek:

Thank you again for the guide.

Update:
I found the files and another guide to get me back on a sprint image.

Thanks again for the work you did.

Reactions: latinmaxima
Upvote 0
Ok since panaphobic heard back from a tech should i follow his steps to fix my wifi or just wait till they push the next update and see if they fixed it, cuz im clueless when it comes to this kinda of stuff :/ also just today i restored my phone to factory settings cuz thats what i was suggested to do now when i try and reinstall my apps i get an error tellin me it wont download with (927) behind the message, any idea what that means and why im gettin that damn error??

The message ur getting is due to google app crap being left behind after a factory reset...

Goto settings/applications/manage apps and go to each and every google app that is installed on ur phone and click clear data and clear cache it will fix this... i have had to do it once or twice on both my wife's and my TU

Upvote 0
the above post is, i believe, a bit of overkill. go to applications/manage apps and click the ALL tab (default will be the downloaded tab) and go to google services framework and google play store and just clear the cache. no need to clear the data. this will take about 10 minutes before your play store is accessible again.

Upvote 0
It says the link is invalid???????
I think this Thread should've been closed a while ago; Interdpth no longer visits here, I believe he doesn't have this phone anymore, & this thread was released in the early stages of 2.3.6 being released. But Thanks still do go out to him!

Now before anything you must install The New Clockwork Mod or you could Brick your phone!! here's the Link...http://androidforums.com/transform-...wm-new-clockworkmod-fixed-no-2min-reboot.html

Then if you want Stock 2.3.6 Rooted here's that Link...http://androidforums.com/transform-...nt-ff27-update-rooted-final-ver-8-1-12-a.html

The two Main roms being used with this phone both use 2.3.6 as a base so here are those Links...

1.MegaTron...http://androidforums.com/transform-.../491861-megatron-6-1-0-updated-2-02-13-a.html

2.CtMod...http://androidforums.com/transform-...-sprint-boost-ctmod-3-75-final-12-6-12-a.html

Hope that helps!!
If I've Helped You in Any Way Please Hit The Thanks Button!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones