• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turbo charger doing SLOW charge

mamboroid

Lurker
Jan 30, 2016
Hi,
My brand new Moto X pure has been a wonderful phone and I was amazed how fast the turbo charge worked. But last three days or so it has been charging very slow. For example, last night the remaining battery charge was 8% when I plugged the charger and after 15 minutes of charging it charged up to 11% and said “7 hours until full”. After two hours, it was 44% full and said “3 hours unitil full”. It did charge to 100% full after I left it charging overnight.

I only use the 25W Turbopower charger that came with Moto X pure. I tried unplug/repluging the charger and restarting the phone. It didn’t improve anything. When the turbo charger plugged in the screen simply says “charging” instead of “TurboPower connected”.

Did I make some wrong set up or can it be caused by some app I installed (such as 360 security antivirus app)? Did I get a lemon charger or phone? My phone is only 12 days old. Do I need to contact Amazon or Motorola for return? I hope it’s just the charger and I don’t need to return the phone itself after all the personalization and app installation I have done.

Once or twice, I left the phone charging overnight and kept an app running (SleepCycle sleep pattern monitoring alarm clock app) and the morning after I noticed the phone had been running very hot. I stop using the app after that. Could something got damaged because of this?

Welcome to Android Forums.

If it was mine I would eliminate possible app causes ...
  • Do a Wipe Cache Partition deleting all temporary data and not touching permanent data settings, or apps you installed.
  • Boot into Safe Mode disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them.

My guess is that neither will solve it.

Try another compatible charger.

If the problem is still present then it is time for a Factory data Reset or phone replacement.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums.

If it was mine I would eliminate possible app causes ...
  • Do a Wipe Cache Partition deleting all temporary data and not touching permanent data settings, or apps you installed.
  • Boot into Safe Mode disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them.

My guess is that neither will solve it.

Try another compatible charger.

If the problem is still present then it is time for a Factory data Reset or phone replacement.

... Thom

Thanks Thom for your tips. Sounds like a good trouble shooting steps. I will try them. Hopefully the problem is just the charger. I don't have another quick charger around to test but let's see if Motorola would send me a replacement charger.

Upvote 0
Hey, mamboroid, I'd be interested to know how this panned out.

My phone / charger has started performing in the same way as described above. I also don't have another quick charger to test with but (a) using the Battery Monitor Widget app I can see that the charging current is very low, and is described as USB charging, and (b) charging another (non-quick charge enabled) device the charge rate is very slow.

My thinking is that the charger is at fault here. I'm going to take it into my retailer tomorrow (Carphone Warehouse in the UK), to see if I can get a warranty replacement for the charger.

Upvote 0
Look at what mode the battery thing says it's in (settings->battery).

When I first bought the phone, using the original turbo charger would indeed say "charging over AC". Since it started refusing to turbo charge my phone, I noticed it started saying "charging over USB" instead.

However, if I use my newest quick charging AC adapter or the external battery, it will report it's turbo charging successfully, and "charging over AC" power again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones