1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Turbo Charger only useful at low battery levels?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hal1, Oct 17, 2014.

1. hal1

hal1 Android Expert

I saw a review that showed the Turbo charger bringing the battery on a Moto X from 8 or 11% up to 36% in 15 minutes. But if the battery is already at 50% or more, will the turbo charger still add another 8 hours in just 15 minutes or is it designed only to quick charge at low levels?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. WAMstr

WAMstr Newbie

I saw a review that showed the Turbo charger bringing the battery on a Moto X from 8 or 11% up to 36% in 15 minutes. But if the battery is already at 50% or more, will the turbo charger still add another 8 hours in just 15 minutes or is it designed only to quick charge at low levels?[/QUOTE]

The turbo

#2 WAMstr, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. iploya

iploya Android Enthusiast

...and not to change the subject, but I decided to experiment on my unsuspecting wife's phone, and the Turbo charger seems to work just fine on hers too (a Motorola Droid Mini). Have not noticed if it charges hers any faster tho.

4. WAMstr

WAMstr Newbie

Just

#4 WAMstr, Nov 9, 2014
  5. I find your #3 and #4 difficult to accept. I suggest you check back with your source for a quotable source of information.

We have been instructed that the current technology monitors the charging process and turns off the charger when the battery is fully charged.

... Thom

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

"Do not leave on charger overnight" and "We suggest charging each night so you start the day fully charged" are opposite recommendations...

7. DanL

DanL Newbie

Number 3 and 4 are not true. Motorola, and most other chargers automatically shut off when the battery is fully charged. Leaving the phone plugged in hurts nothing.
    Older batteries performed better when allowed to deplete down. That is no longer necessary either.

8. doogald

Yes, you are right about number three. That is particularly bad advice for lithium ion batteries. Battery University has numbers showing that many small charges are better for long-term battery health than a small number of large charges. See this link:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

DanL likes this.
  9. DanL

DanL Newbie

Thanks for the link. Good information from a reliable source.

10. foxkat

foxkat Lurker

Been saying this for the last few years. Battery University is THE resource for Lithium Ion battery charging information.

Also, the Turbo Charger is charging at a considerably higher rate during the Turbo Charging period, and this is also detrimental to the longevity of the battery. These batteries MUCH prefer to be charged at lower C (Charge rate as a multiple of the capacity).

I am subscribing to the personal plan to use a standard charger for nearly all charging, and will only substitute the Turbo charger for those infrequent times when I need such a boost to get by during a certain period where the battery is depleted.

And for everyone else, do not allow the phone to dip too far into the lower 15% of the charge levels if at all possible. Try to plug in as soon as possible after the phone tells you to charge it. This will help prolong the battery.

11. WAMstr

WAMstr Newbie

You mean you find Motorola representative's #3 and #4 difficult to accept. The first line clearly states that Motorola stated... I'm just passing on what Moto rep stated in the first section and what was in the Motorola book in the second section.

That was the reason for the dancing question marks...hell they're confusing me.

12. WAMstr

WAMstr Newbie

go

#12 WAMstr, Nov 9, 2014
  13. -=Jeff=-

-=Jeff=- Android Expert

Just because it is a Motorola rep does not mean they know what they are talking about.

I knew many when I was a Motorola employee that had no clue what they were saying

14. doogald

I'm going to continue going by the Battery University recommendations, with two caveats: because I like to wake up with a fully charged phone, I leave it charging overnight, and I almost always leave the phone on while charging overnight, though it's better not to. From what I have read on Battery University, small charges are best, probably between 60 and 80 percent if you can manage it. Charging to full with the phone powered off is better for the battery than leaving the phone running.

But, I just want my battery to be good enough for two years, and I think the way I charge will at least get me through that.

15. I agree.

Also ... there is NOTHING in the Turbo User's Guide warning about any new problem ... like leaving it on a charger too long or charging only from a certain level.

... Thom

16. WAMstr

WAMstr Newbie

yo

#16 WAMstr, Nov 10, 2014
  17. WAMstr

WAMstr Newbie

Have

#17 WAMstr, Nov 10, 2014
  18. WAMstr

WAMstr Newbie

uh huh crickets

19. doogald

The Maxx is now my backup phone. Battery life is not what it was at first but it remains fine, and remained fine for the 25 months I used it as my everyday phone, charging all but a handful of nights.

Motorola Droid Turbo Forum

The Motorola Droid Turbo release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 21MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3900mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews