• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turn data completely off?

Hey, I'm new to this site, and this will be my first Droid phone, so excuse me for being an idiot, but before I buy it I have a question. The plan I'm on (Koodo Talk and Text) does not have any data coverage at all (they charge you per MB), and since I don't particularly want to pay any more than what I already pay for month, is it possible to completely disable Data connection and use WiFi only on this phone?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Android forums!
When you start the phone for first time, in Google account setup screen press Menu and setup Wi-Fi connection. If the Wi-Fi connection is established, phone will use it for setup and first synchronization. Than go to Setings (press Menu on main screen), Wireless & Networks / Mobile networks and uncheck the "Data enabled" option, the phone will then never use mobile data.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Android forums!
When you start the phone for first time, in Google account setup screen press Menu and setup Wi-Fi connection. If the Wi-Fi connection is established, phone will use it for setup and first synchronization. Than go to Setings (press Menu on main screen), Wireless & Networks / Mobile networks and uncheck the "Data enabled" option, the phone will then never use mobile data.

Thanks a ton! I can still use WiFi for the Android Marketplace and other web-related things?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones