1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Turn off 3g using tasker?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by The K-Zoo Kid, Sep 12, 2010.

1. The K-Zoo Kid

The K-Zoo Kid Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    I want tasker to turn only use 2g networks on some of my profiles but i cant figure out how to do that.

Advertisement

2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    The current beta allows you to turn off mobile data on CDMA phones using built-in functionality, or on GSM phones using APNdroid. For CDMA it has no facility for turning off 3G only. I'm not sure about APNdroid.

3. The K-Zoo Kid

The K-Zoo Kid Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    I have a GSM... I dont exactly get what you are saying. I want to disable 3g, no mobile data completely.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    I don't have a GSM phone, but as far as I know, Taskers Mobile Data (APN) requires that APNdroid be installed, and whatever functionality it has would depend on APNdroid. Without having a GSM phone, I don't know what else I can tell you.

5. fencepost

fencepost Member

Aug 4, 2010
    In newer versions I believe that Tasker can control mobile data without using APNdroid, not sure which version this was added in.

Tasker is not able to toggle between 2G / 3G (at least not on GSM devices), but I don't believe any other applications are able to do this either, at least not consistently. This is because there's not an API to allow modification of that setting.

I believe allowing this to be changed by applications is one of the things modified in alternate firmwares like CyanogenMod

6. ghed

ghed Active Member

May 30, 2010
    *** bump ***

any news if this feature is now available?

7. Rob.G

Rob.G Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Male
    United Stated
    You have been able to switch off Mobile Data. Using Net > Mobile Data.
    However, it's either off or on, not 2G or 3G.

8. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Coventry, UK
    I've just made it bring up the Wireless and Network settings menu so I can change it (when I start Google Maps). Apparently Google haven't released the code on how to change the 2g/3g setting

Otherwise get a widget on your homepage that will take you to the Mobile Network Settings menu and use that to change the setting

9. ghed

ghed Active Member

May 30, 2010
    Thanks, I already have that tool, 2G-3G. I was hoping on automating it, automatically switch to 2G whenever Mobile Data is turned off to save battery life.