• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turn off 3g ?

XfrostX

Lurker
Jan 7, 2010
Hello, before i open my nexus one and use it.. Just wondering if it is possible to turn of 3g and only use EDGE. I only pay for EDGE with tmobile and I do not want to buy 3g. The EDGE speeds are fine over here :)
If it is possible please leave an explanation on how to
Thanks .

T-Mobile does not charge you based upon speed. They only bill for data. If you have a data plan and and live/play in 3g coverage... you get 3g speeds at no extra cost. I don't believe there is any carrier that charges more based upon speed (at least in the USA).

Upvote 0
T-Mobile does not charge you based upon speed. They only bill for data. If you have a data plan and and live/play in 3g coverage... you get 3g speeds at no extra cost. I don't believe there is any carrier that charges more based upon speed (at least in the USA).
There is one circumstance I have come across: AT&T and the iPhone

The original iPhone (2G only) has a $20/month data plan. You get unlimited Edge and 200 texts with that.

The 3G iPhone data plans are $30/month and include no texts.

Surely, you cannot buy the 2G iPhone data plan (for $10 less/month) and then just throw that SIM into a 3G iPhone and expect to get 3G.

Well, you can, but I have read some reports of people getting a text and/or email from AT&T informing them that their current data plan is incompatible with their phone.

Upvote 0
There is one circumstance I have come across: AT&T and the iPhone

The original iPhone (2G only) has a $20/month data plan. You get unlimited Edge and 200 texts with that.

The 3G iPhone data plans are $30/month and include no texts.

Surely, you cannot buy the 2G iPhone data plan (for $10 less/month) and then just throw that SIM into a 3G iPhone and expect to get 3G.

Well, you can, but I have read some reports of people getting a text and/or email from AT&T informing them that their current data plan is incompatible with their phone.

I thought about bringing this up in my post... but then I felt it wasn't the same as he was describing. AT&T decided to raise data on iPhone 3G users... not because of the speed, but to pay for the huge subsidy they gave on the phone. If you have an iPhone 3G and live in an area without 3G... they still charge you $30 for data. It had nothing to do with the speed you are getting.

Also... another scenario.... if you had a 2G iPhone and you were on the $20 data, then you stuck your sim into a diff. 3G phone... like a Windows Mobile Phone or Symbian phone, you got 3G speed and didn't get charged extra.

$30 data on iPhone 3G was just a way to get loyal iPhone/Apple users/fans to cough up an extra $10 per month.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones