• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jammie1212

Jul 5, 2011
Hi. i live in a area that doesnt have 3g and according to my mate the phone searches for it wen your not in the 3g area which is constantly wasting battery, so i was wondering if its possible to turn it off as the battery isnt the best anyway. ive had a look about the network settings and cant find anything. anyone help? galaxy s2. thanx

Hi. i live in a area that doesnt have 3g and according to my mate the phone searches for it wen your not in the 3g area which is constantly wasting battery, so i was wondering if its possible to turn it off as the battery isnt the best anyway. ive had a look about the network settings and cant find anything. anyone help? galaxy s2. thanx
Hi m8, best/quickest way to turn off data is long press power button, press the 'Data Network Mode' then make sure it says 'Data Network Mode Deactivated' Press on it to change it to activated /deactivated.
As for turning off 3G, as far as I am aware you can only turn off data connection on any phone, and not switch between the different data speeds.

Reactions: jammie1212
Upvote 0
Well, you can choose between GSM/WCDMA (Auto Mode) or choose either GSM or WCDMA, as MJC said the GSM setting will get your signal ok but will not get your optimum data speed etc, I forgot about that setting, used to use that on my old SE W995 when I didn't have a data plan.
Go to Wireless and Network/Mobile Networks/Network Mode
Edit: ok I have just done this, and where I live I get the fastest data speed I can get for my S2, which is H and or 3g, when I turned it to GSM only, I get the 'E' symbol and also the G, not sure what that means but its wayyyy slower than the usual :)

Reactions: jammie1212
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones