• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turn off camera shutter sound

If you can get there (i.e. rooted), the sound file is located at /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg

I couldn't delete it, but I was able to replace it by copying/pasting a silent sound file with the same name using Root Explorer. (Used Audacity to create file - it's in the attached zip file.)

I'm not using the standard home screen, but for anyone interested, I would imagine the same idea would work for replacing the "swipe" sounds with the same file names

Swipe open is located at /data/data/com.nec.android.ncmc.homeapp/files/2.ogg
and Swipe closed is at /data/data/com.nec.android.ncmc.homeapp/files/4.ogg

-Tom

Attachments

• Silence Camera.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0
I am also using Root Explorer, thanks for pointing out where that file was, saved me some search time :)
Just rooted today, so there may have been an update since then.
But if you tap the white button that says "Mount R/W" then you have just ENABLED Read/Write permissions.
I was able to delete the sound file with no problem, no need to replace either.
After I did that maybe 2min later my phone did randomly quick restart into a lost signal,
but I fixed that by just a simple hard restart, phone back to normal, and none of that crap shutter sound!!! So Annoying!!!

Reactions: Emgo
Upvote 0
I bought CameraZoom FX for 10 cents when Google was running its 10 apps a day for 10 days for 10 cents each promotion last month. Waaaaaaay better than the stock app. I'd still recommend it at the 2.99 price.

ive always used the stock camera and never gave "alternate'apps a thought. When my streak had its last update, it screwed up mthe video and camera quality... Ill give this app a try and see if it helps returnn some measure of quality to pics.

Upvote 0
I know you guys probably don't care, but this is actually a "safety" issue. A lot of phone manufacturers are making the shutter sound mandatory now because they want people to be aware of when a picture is being taken of them, to avoid creepers and stuff like that.

it was mainly women complaining about guys taking those "upskirt" photos...it is a mandatory option and all phones have some sort of a sound preloaded.

Upvote 0
I know, it should be easy. But how can you turn off the camers shutter sound? I looked & tried everywhere.

visit this link
jjpda.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-disable-camera-shutter-sound.html

Are you annoying by the loud camera shutter sound and set to silent mode or volume off did not fix the problem?

Here is simple way to disable it, but your phone need to be ROOTED.

TODO:
1. Download Root Explorer
2. Run Root Explorer

3. Browse thru the file until "/system/media/audio/ui"
4. Click on the [Mount Button]
5. Rename "Shutter_01.ogg" to "Shutter_01.ogg.off"
6. Reboot your phone. DONE

Try take a picture. Even with sound ON, your camera shutter will not make any sound :)

Email This
BlogThis!
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook

Reactions: susst1
Upvote 0
visit this link
jjpda.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-disable-camera-shutter-sound.html

Are you annoying by the loud camera shutter sound and set to silent mode or volume off did not fix the problem?

Here is simple way to disable it, but your phone need to be ROOTED.

TODO:
1. Download Root Explorer
2. Run Root Explorer

3. Browse thru the file until "/system/media/audio/ui"
4. Click on the [Mount Button]
5. Rename "Shutter_01.ogg" to "Shutter_01.ogg.off"
6. Reboot your phone. DONE

Try take a picture. Even with sound ON, your camera shutter will not make any sound :)

Email This
BlogThis!
Share to Twitter

Wont let me ...read only file.

Upvote 0
If you can get there (i.e. rooted), the sound file is located at /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg

I couldn't delete it, but I was able to replace it by copying/pasting a silent sound file with the same name using Root Explorer. (Used Audacity to create file - it's in the attached zip file.)

I'm not using the standard home screen, but for anyone interested, I would imagine the same idea would work for replacing the "swipe" sounds with the same file names

-Tom

I had already tried to delete and rename the file but it crashed the camera app. This however worked perfectly:)

Upvote 0

-Tom

Guys this is the right way, I just tested it on my Defy Mini (2.3.6 rooted CWM)
The other way is to delete the camera_click.ogg using SD Maid (free version is ok) :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones