• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turn off data when roaming

Hawker

Android Expert
Aug 2, 2011
UK
www.celica.talktalk.net
I'm going on holiday next month, and I dont want any nasty surprises when I see my bill due to background apps unknowingly using data when I'm abroad.

Is deactivating "Data network mode" via the power button the one-stop be all and end all way to do this?

Reason I ask is I seem to remember some settings in one or two apps (I cant remember which :thinking:) to disable syncing/retreiving etc when roaming. Will I need to make sure these are also set? If so, can you point me in the right direction where these settings are, as I cant find them anywhere any more! :rolleyes:

Would... Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile networks > Data roaming (untick)... solve your problem?

Seen that one, and I've never put it on.
So with this unticked alone would this avoid any background tasks incurring charges abroad?
How would this differ from the deactivating "data network mode"? I suppose doing this would prevent me from receiving MMS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones