• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turn off multitasking?

modernaire

Apr 16, 2013
Since this applies to basically every android device at the moment, I decided to post it here.

I simply don't want any multitasking windows. They are a nuisance, gingerbread was better in the privacy aspect. If a friend or co-worker needs to borrow your phone for a bit to make a call, it essentially gives them full access to your phone by just pushing one button.

Is there any app out there that at least limits the multitasking windows? It also seems like a battery drain to constantly save nearly every single different screen you visited.

I've tried "app killers" but haven't found one that works yet to address the multitask windows.

Any ideas?

It also seems like a battery drain to constantly save nearly every single different screen you visited.
Screens are saved in RAM. There's something in every location in RAM, whether it's a representation of a screen you might need to go back to or random data, it takes the same amount of battery power to refresh that area of RAM. So saving screens (except for the minute amount of actually doing context-switching) might cost as much as 5 seconds between charges - hardly anything to worry about. Leaving your screen on for 10 seconds before blanking, rather than 5 seconds, costs a lot more battery.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I did that, but it still saves every screen. Anything else I can do?

I have absolutely zero use for the multitasking option.

If I want to switch from text to call screen, I'll push back or home button and invoke the phone button. No need for multitasking screen.

It's basically a snapshot of every last thing you did.

Upvote 0
You could delete the screens from the list (swipe them to the right) before you handed someone your phone.

... Thom

Gingerbread was better in this aspect. It only showed the app you had used, not what exactly what you did with that app. Now, it takes a snapshot of the last thing you did with that particular app, constantly. Email, pictures, everything. It's probably hosted on some server as well so they can watch your every move. We really are going the way of the matrix.

There any way to clear this out without having to swipe left/right individually on all of them? It can be very tedious.

It boggles me there isn't an option to turn off the multitasking option.

Upvote 0
I have that lil icon at bottom left that clears all recents uploadfromtaptalk1386449470880.jpg

Upvote 0
The clear button must be some sort of new feature.

It's been this way for a while now, at least in the US.

Gingerbread didn't require you to "back up" your contacts via Verizon Back up assistance or a Google account.

You have to "sign in" for basically everything. You cannot even freely download apps without a gmail account. Easy way around this, make a dummy gmail account.

Upvote 0
Ive said this before, an android device will work perfectly well without google services apps on it.
I dont see what peoples problem is though, ive never had to worry about losing my contacts since using android, you can install apps without a google account but the play store protects me pretty well from dangerous software, gmail is fine, youtube and google plus are all optional but excellent services.....
Ive never felt like my privacy is invaded lol :thinking:
Google just want you to learn and sell (anonymously) your habits and preferences in return and you can avoid that from happening if you really want to (although i dont see why)
All you are is a number to them (well, a google account)

Upvote 0
it takes a snapshot of the last thing you did with that particular app, constantly. Email, pictures, everything.on.

No it doesn't, it simply displays what is in RAM. It's actually invaluable when, for example, logging into a web site and you need to pull the password from a database app; hit HOME, open password app, copy password, restore browser window from Recent Apps list, paste password.

Gingerbread didn't require you to "back up" your contacts via Verizon Back up assistance or a Google account.

Leaving aside the fact that Verizon is but one US-only network, backing-up via Google has never been mandatory. Devices will function just fine with contact sync disabled.

You cannot even freely download apps without a gmail account.

You require a Google account to use the Play Store because apps are associated with that specific account. Use of Gmail is completely optional.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
You seriously have to loan your phone to friends that often? Last time someone asked to use my phone was when a neighbor locked himself out of his place and needed to call his wife, and I had to show him how to make a call.

BTW, that button that clears the list of recent apps is a result of the ROM funkylogik is using, it's not part of the standard Android OS experience.

Upvote 0
I dont think its multitasking thats your problem, its the native android way where you get that screen showing thumbnails of the recent apps. Am i right?
If youre willing to root and take control of the phone then of course you dont need to have that. For example i had long press home button set to take me straight to camera instead of "recent apps".
I use a different way of multitasking (not for your reasons lol, just because its far faster) :)
If you dont wana root the phone then i think youre stuck with what you have tbh.
Please dont think that the recents screen is an invasion of privacy though.
Although i dont use it, its there for your good.
If someone wants to snoop around your phone, they can only do it if you let them. Theres plenty of ways to lock them out :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I don't think multi tasking is what the issue is here. I think the issue is that there is a display of historical information that can reveal things to strangers that are not wanted.

My suggestion to that one is discipline. Access those things when you are in a secure location (like home at night) and make sure to clear the screen of all previous use when you are done. Also make sure you clear the history in any browser that you used for the same reason.

Now when someone asks to use your phone you know that nothing is being revealed that you don;t want.

If you run in airplane mode you will see that the same display is being maintained so it is not being sent to some central repository to spy on you. There is too much data to do that efficiently and if spying was the goal it would be more in the lines of a character phrase being sent.

When I first encountered this display I thought it was pretty dumb. After using it for a month I find it very useful. I switch back to previous apps and never rad anything from the display screen .. I see the picture of the screen and switch.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I don't think multi tasking is what the issue is here. I think the issue is that there is a display of historical information that can reveal things to strangers that are not wanted.

My suggestion to that one is discipline. Access those things when you are in a secure location (like home at night) and make sure to clear the screen of all previous use when you are done. Also make sure you clear the history in any browser that you used for the same reason.

Now when someone asks to use your phone you know that nothing is being revealed that you don;t want.

If you run in airplane mode you will see that the same display is being maintained so it is not being sent to some central repository to spy on you. There is too much data to do that efficiently and if spying was the goal it would be more in the lines of a character phrase being sent.

When I first encountered this display I thought it was pretty dumb. After using it for a month I find it very useful. I switch back to previous apps and never rad anything from the display screen .. I see the picture of the screen and switch.

... Thom

There seems to be more variance now among small settings like this by brand of phone. Years ago, everything did seem a bit more standardized.

I don't have a problem with the multitasking aspect itself, it's that it shows everything, private email, who you talked to on skype, who you emailed, texted, etc - instantly.

There should be an option to only return to the app like in gingerbread. Of course there isn't. There should be an option to turn off multitasking, of course there isn't.

As for friends/coworkers asking to borrow your phone briefly, you never really know when that's going to happen. People oftentimes run out of battery (especially iphone users), don't have reception in certain places (especially Sprint/US Cellular users).

Also, the direction the USA is going with the ever-growing police state, there could be more to this as well. In certain states, they can demand you unlock your phone. The general public cares too much about Black Friday TV specials to notice this.

Upvote 0
There seems to be more variance now among small settings like this by brand of phone. Years ago, everything did seem a bit more standardized.

Yeh dumb-phones. :p They could do phone calls and not a lot else.

I don't have a problem with the multitasking aspect itself, it's that it shows everything, private email, who you talked to on skype, who you emailed, texted, etc - instantly.

There should be an option to only return to the app like in gingerbread. Of course there isn't. There should be an option to turn off multitasking, of course there isn't.

As for friends/coworkers asking to borrow your phone briefly, you never really know when that's going to happen. People oftentimes run out of battery (especially iphone users), don't have reception in certain places (especially Sprint/US Cellular users).

TBH when that happens they only usually need it to make a phone call. You're not letting it out of your sight. A cellphone tends to be a very personal thing, you're not exactly letting all and sundry go off with it. ;)

Also, the direction the USA is going with the ever-growing police state, there could be more to this as well. In certain states, they can demand you unlock your phone. The general public cares too much about Black Friday TV specials to notice this.

Yeh and the police, NSA, CIA, FBI, DOJ, whatever can go straight to your carrier, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, etc. and get all your info that way as well. IMO the only true privacy these days is what you keep inside your head... #TinFoilHat

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones