1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Turn off open WiFi notification?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fearthephenom, Sep 23, 2014.

1. fearthephenom

fearthephenom Lurker

I was wondering if it's possible to turn off the Open WiFi Network notification?

Isn't there usually an option for this? If there is one on this phone, I've missed it somewhere.

Thanks for the time.

*I'm an idiot. Sorry.*

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. spicaalex

spicaalex Member

don't have lg lying here... but on samsung it's wifi settings - advanced (menu button - advanced) - notify about networks in range

try to find same mby?

3. adamck4

adamck4 Newbie

Go to your list of wifi networks, then hit the menu key, advanced wifi, uncheck network notification

4. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

Disable connections optimizer

5. jeffmd

jeffmd Well-Known Member

The problem I find with disableing connections optimizer is it handles the auto logon for public wifi which I use a lot at work. I wish they would separate that. I don't like how the optimizer will auto turn on wifi when ever it feels like it.

6. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

If you've already logged on before it should log on every time without the use of connections optimizer.

7. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

No, connections optimizer handles automatically logging you in to previously used networks.

8. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

Maybe I'm not understanding something

9. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

When you connect to an open network that requires an authorization or acceptance of terms, it loads in a window from connections optimizer. At the bottom it offers to automatically authenticate for that network from then on. This if different from logging into a private network with typical security in your Wi-Fi settings.

donjuro likes this.
  10. jeffmd

jeffmd Well-Known Member

Public wifi connections today almost always require you to accept a terms of service agreement over a web page. This temporary authorization is forgotten when you disconnect. As long as the TOS acceptance page is a simple button click, connection optimizer can totally automate the process without needing to bring up a web page.

11. Murf1

Murf1 Android Enthusiast

Even though my Wifi is turned off (from the toggle above the notification area), it will turn itself on if there is an accessible network. I don't mind it when I'm charging, but when it is not charging I don't want it to.

Is there a way to make the wifi stay off when I have it turned off?

thanks,

12. jeffmd

jeffmd Well-Known Member

Murf, that is the connection optimiser I was referring to above. Turning it off will stop it from seeking out open wifi, but at the same time it will no longer auto logon to any public wifie hotspots you frequent, if that matters to you.

Murf1 likes this.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews