1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Turn on a phone remotely

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redhead, Feb 2, 2014.

1. redhead

redhead Lurker
    None

Feb 2, 2014
    I have read a few threads and none of them fit exactly what I need so hopefully there is an answer out there. I have lost two phones this last year, and I can afford to lose another (couldn't afford to lose the first two). Both times I had forgotten it or dropped it without realizing it and then when I went to track it it turned up in random places, people are great aren't they? I would never consider stealing a phone for one that is a sh*t thing to do, also it can be tracked and another thing doesn't it become useless when reported stolen (hopefully the jerks are unable to use it!)? Any who to prevent from happening this time I am installing all the phone tracking apps I can and even bought an electronic leash to notify me when I walk away from the phone. But all these things wont so me a lick of good if the phone gets turned off. So is there an app that I can install that will turn my phone back on remotely? From what I have read else where that may be impossible so is there a way of making it so it cant really be turned off (short of the battery being removed) but just appear to be off? Even if I have to root the darn thing. I have no reason to ever really need my phone off as long as I can make it where it makes no noise while I am in class. Thank you for any help you can give me!!!

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If you put the phone to sleep it appears to be off, but you'll haave to have wifi sleep disabled if you want to track it. The battery won't last long.

As far as remotely turning it on, the power switch has to be shorted for about half a second to turn it on, and you can't do that if it's turned off.

A lanyard might be a lot cheaper and a lot easier.

3. flailer

flailer Member
    None

Apr 4, 2010
    Capt Amazing
    Champion City
    Excellent idea - thanks!

As I am VERY active (motorcycling, mtn bike, hiking, packing) i used to use a variety of lanyards quite often with my old phone .

Any recommendations on how to mount / connect lanyard to the Note 3 ?

I am in the market for a second protective case - and will keep your recommendation in mind - spanks again :thumbup:

4. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    To the Note 3 itself? Not without totally murdering the warranty. A lanyard to the case would be doable. (I use the i-Blason case. My wife uses a cloth pouch for hers.)

5. flailer

flailer Member
    None

Apr 4, 2010
    Capt Amazing
    Champion City
    a cloth pouch! that could be brilliant for many types of uses, with or without lanyard :smokingsomb:

6. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    This is a must for me at work...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shocksock..._MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item58a1b2621f

I have the S View case and put it in this shock sock. It has been dropped once or twice but it's fine. If I get into dusty/wet conditions it also has a snappy food bag over it lol, not pretty on the eyes but for a

flailer likes this.
  7. flailer

flailer Member
    None

Apr 4, 2010
    Capt Amazing
    Champion City
    Neoprene Shocksock - I like it! particularly as you state I wouldnt have to remove my S-View cover.

Call me weird, but i have been using zip-lock bags to protect my phones from CA beach sand for years. Can totally operated the phone never opening the baggy (if the S-View cover is folded back on itself) Sadly sometimes I forget to grab a baggy before leaving home. When that happens i simply use the doggy-poo bags :thinking: ... No, a clean unused one :rolleyes:

8. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Weird? No, I'd call you a plagiarist, but it's too obvious an idea. In my writeup on not having phones water damaged, I recommend 2 zip-lock bags (and have been since the 1990s). Put the phone in one and zip it. Put that one, zipper-first, into the second one. Leave some air in that one and zip it. It probably won't withstand more than 1 or 2 feet of water, but if the spray from the bow of the boat soaks it, the phone is safe. And you can use the phone without opening the bags.

As far as pouches, my wife's is for her old LG slider. The Note 3 sticks out, but she hasn't found another one yet that's large enough. She just uses a small carabiner to clip it to her pants. A nice TPO pouch with a hole in the corner would be perfect.

9. Simon_Gardner

Simon_Gardner Android Expert
    None

Jun 13, 2013
    Twitter @Simon_Gardner
    If I'm trying to keep small items dry and safe (phones, pocket cameras) in adverse conditions I use micro Pelicases (eg Peli 1010 or 1020) or actual real Otterboxes.

Both work well for me and you can attach a lanyard easily. I tend to use 5mm rope.

The Pelicases have been tested by EU authorities down to 5m.

My wallet is a Peli and water sealed.

10. flailer

flailer Member
    None

Apr 4, 2010
    Capt Amazing
    Champion City
    Yeah!
    But i bet there is NO one plagiarizing my use of Doggy-Poo bags :rolleyes:

Thanks Man. I would SO use a Pelican, but my needs often (not always) require earbud controller. Do you think any of them allow that?

Currently I'll case it; then wrap it in a bit of padding; then Zip-Lock bag it; & lastly pocket it in waterproof ski-jacket; or waterproof lined section of hydration pack (the hydro bladder removed)

p.s. i like the freezer ZipLock bags best as they hold up better & longer. Just one small hole in the bag; with that hole being pinched between the earbud-jack and jack-port. Sounds cheesy but it has worked well on many phones for several years. Where it doesnt work well is; that there is no way of using a Lanyard. At least none that I have yet thought of.

11. Simon_Gardner

Simon_Gardner Android Expert
    None

Jun 13, 2013
    Twitter @Simon_Gardner
    There is indeed a case that allows earbud exit but as far as I know, there isn't one of those big enough for the Note 3. It's not waterproof though. Just resistant.

My pocket camera is always in a small Pelicase which I've frequently stood on to no ill effect.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.